Talk

Advanced search

Anybody else feel sad watching news reports of the poor souls in New Orleans trying to get away from hurricane again??

(16 Posts)
tiredemma Mon 01-Sep-08 11:19:12

Feel miserable watching the same people get displaced again. I found the news reports after Katrina harrowing, im not convinced that enough has been done to ensure that this Hurricane doesnt have the same horrific consequences.

sad

GentleOtter Mon 01-Sep-08 11:28:14

We cannot imagine what they are going through especially so soon after Katrina. The NOLA pages report that many of the people are angry with the press being so intrusive in their misery.
A lot of the money sent to help appears to have 'vanished' and work was never carried out.
God help them all.sad

TsarChasm Mon 01-Sep-08 11:36:19

Terrible isn't it? sad They're still not sorted out from last time.

GentleOtter Mon 01-Sep-08 11:49:34

I'm worried about those who are left. Some of them are too old or unwilling to leave and after the scenes from the last time...
The last funerals (of Katrina victims)were held at the weekend in NO and included the bodies of three babies who had never been identified.It is truly heartbreaking.

My friend sent a harrowing account of trying to get to the hospital (she broke her foot) and having to take a makeshift raft to get through the streets.
There were the worst things possible in the water and when she got to the hospital she and her partner got maced by some cops.

She got to Baton Rouge eventually but because of the delay in getting medical treatment her foot has never been ok.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 01-Sep-08 12:33:11

Good live news feed here
uses windows media player

Its not looking nearly as bad as feared - power still on in many areas and weather forecaster is cautiously optimistic about levies holding. Winds 40-45 gusting 75 they said.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 01-Sep-08 12:34:26

Which is fantastic news - but it does mean that because so many very strong warnings were issued then people may not heed them next time.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 01-Sep-08 12:36:10

Hurricane hunters cannot find an eyewall on storm now.

GentleOtter Mon 01-Sep-08 13:01:09

What a monster here

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 01-Sep-08 13:07:31

Its a big storm, lots of tornado warnings out now but thankfully wind speeds are down to a Cat 2 storm and theres still no evidence of surge issues as far as I can see.

shinyshoes Mon 01-Sep-08 13:31:00

I have had FoxNews on since yesturday It's gripping , not in a good way, but it's terryfying to watch it's descent on land.

My thoughts are with those that have decided to stay in NewOrleans sad.

shinyshoes Mon 01-Sep-08 13:33:22

Some bloody fool news reporter is grinning like a chesire cat reporting from N.O.

I know they have to report but he's cutting it fine when its going to land in a few moments time.

Do you think he gets paid extra wink

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 01-Sep-08 13:38:56

shiny shoes if your internet is up to it I highly recommend my link - good local non sensationalist coverage.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 01-Sep-08 14:26:18

Not so good news now - Hurricane appears not to be weakening as it should - news reports are that the eye wall is regenerating. Some concerns were raised that it may stall. Next NOAA advisory they said 30-40 mins.

expatinscotland Mon 01-Sep-08 14:30:32

No. I'm from Houston, TX. You live in a place like that, you can expect hurricanes and tropical storms.

My sister lives in Galveston County, they get evacuated usually once a year. Goes with the territory.

It's only a category 2, the authorities have tried as best they could to force people to evacuate.

expatinscotland Mon 01-Sep-08 14:41:28

I'm lovin' this Alan Pond dude! He's hysterical. You can imagine he's the consumate British expat to the US - LOL when he said he had his pistol in his holster and his 12 guage in his bedroom.

Hhhaaahaa. The BBC lady went spare. He said, 'Calm down, I was 12 years in the British Army, love.'

FFS, I sure as hell wouldn't live in New Orleans without owning at least one firearm.

Ditto Houston.

snorkle Mon 01-Sep-08 20:04:20

NOAA is saying it's weakened to cat 1 now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now