Talk

Advanced search

Amazing story... can't help but wonder if these two ladies were MNers!

(21 Posts)
BouncingTurtle Wed 27-Aug-08 08:35:20

Woman diagnoses cancer by email

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 27-Aug-08 08:37:33

What a good spot!

stretchmarkqueen Wed 27-Aug-08 08:44:40

omg! How amazing!

filthymindedvixen Wed 27-Aug-08 08:47:10

oh my goodness - can you imaginbe how the gb mum felt when she realised there might be a problem? How do you fo about telling a friend that? Well done Missus!!

misdee Wed 27-Aug-08 08:47:38

oh how amamzing.

there have been a couple of threads

misdee Wed 27-Aug-08 08:48:16

oops on phone. couple of threads on here about similar pics iirc.

stretchmarkqueen Wed 27-Aug-08 08:48:33

I wonder how many of us now are going to search our dc's photos..?

Purplepillow Wed 27-Aug-08 08:52:03

What an amazing story.

What courage to send an e-mail to an "on-line" friend.

Well done Madeleine grin

FabioTheFlouncingCat Wed 27-Aug-08 09:07:12

Her email says ' the reason I'm writing this is that an aquaintance of ours noticed the same thing in a picture of their child and it was found to be serious. Don't panic, I just wanted to suggest you have her checked by an optometrist from the experience our aquaintance had.'

Well put, I think.

There is mn who noticed something like this in the school photos - a child in their child's class had the same thing. I think it turned out to be ok though.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 27-Aug-08 09:08:42

Oh goodness. That made me cry.

A while ago someone on here asked whether to mention to anyone as they had seen the same in a photo of another child atr school. Does anyone remember and know what happened?

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 27-Aug-08 09:09:27

FABIO, I should have read the hwole thead before posting, shouldn't I?!!

snig Wed 27-Aug-08 09:14:40

wow how amazing is that!

FabioTheFlouncingCat Wed 27-Aug-08 09:19:17

No, <sniff> just my post.

[ignored]

grin

NotDoingTheHousework Wed 27-Aug-08 09:28:56

Message withdrawn

Nemoandthefishes Wed 27-Aug-08 09:36:26

blimey thats amazing and glad she had the courage to say something instead of dismissing it

2point4kids Wed 27-Aug-08 09:40:22

That is amazing.
Brought tears to my eyes.

BouncingTurtle Wed 27-Aug-08 11:49:51

I thought it sounded familiar - what Fabio said rings bells with me - wonder if that was the story that the British mum saw?

evangelina Thu 28-Aug-08 09:56:30

There was an interesting feature on the BBC about it this morning, but I thought is was a shame that they didn't make more of a point of saying "sorry that your child is so ill" to the American lady rather than making it just a "good news" story. They even asked her if she was coming over to the UK to see her friend, and she had to say "well we're based here until at least March for all the treatment". It's wonderful that the English mother has probably saved this baby's life, but the child is still having chemotherapy for cancer and will lose an eye and this was lost a bit by the interviewers I thought.

bigcar Thu 28-Aug-08 13:43:51

I'm with you evengelina. I thought they were both rather insensitive (Sian and Bill), the little girl has lost an eye and is having chemo, of course they are not going to be jumping on a plane right now! Amazing story though, great spot, well done that lady!

ScaredOfEverything Thu 28-Aug-08 19:24:59

What an amazing story! Poor wee girl though

Can anyone explain what she actually saw? I didnt understand it.

SaintGeorge Thu 28-Aug-08 19:49:37

If you look at the photo in the link, the little girl has the 'red eye' that you sometimes gets in photos - but only in one eye. The other is showing white.

Red eye is caused by the way the camera picks up the reflection of light from the eyes, the tumour alters the reflection so cameras pick it up differently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now