Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This is a weird one, but have any London MNers heard about this...?

(7 Posts)
lovecat Thu 21-Aug-08 23:59:50

I commute into Liverpool Street via the Central line. A sign went up this week asking for witnesses to a series of incidents described thusly:

On xx/xx/xx, 8am - 8.30am, a man carried out a series of sexual assaults on several women between Mile End and Holborn

There's been nothing about this in the press at all, to my knowledge - a series of assaults? SEVERAL women? Between 6 tube stations? What the hell happened? Given that it's my line, stations I travel through and my time of commute, it's left me feeling a little uneasy and quite frankly horrified that this occurred and he managed to get away with it!

I'm also slightly gobsmacked that there's been nothing on the news about it (but I only work 3 days a week so it may have been reported on one of my days off and I missed it, hence my post) - to me this is a really shocking crime, I'd have thought for the unusual nature of it alone it would have been reported... or is sexual violence to women commonplace these days

thornrose Fri 22-Aug-08 00:02:49

I haven't heard anything but I know someone who works at Victoria tube station and I will ask about this tomorrow. Ugh, probably groping, rubbing up against, general disgusting innappropriate behaviour on the actual tube between those stations!

lovecat Fri 22-Aug-08 00:05:04

Cheers thornrose, I'd be genuinely interested to know what happened - it just seems incredible that he managed to assault several women in what must have been a good 20 min tube journey and not get caught...

thornrose Fri 22-Aug-08 00:10:50

I'm picturing some old perv in a mac, too many polite woman not making a fuss and then all the info coming together, yuk! I'm guessing sexual assualt doesn't have to be violent or prolonged but equally bloody disgusting!

HappypillsGalore Fri 22-Aug-08 00:44:06

i dont want you to feel unsafe lovecat, but it doesnt surprise me in the least that a bloke could get away with this. nor that it doesnt feature in the news.
i was almost raped and strangled on the street in hackney when i was 18, and it warranted exactly 1 column inch on page 30something of the hackney gazette, and then only coz the police asked them to put it in for any info/witnesses to come forward hmm

pervs being gropey on the tube is fairly commonplace... not that unusual ime

lovecat Fri 22-Aug-08 00:47:25

Well, in an awful way I'm hoping that's 'all' it is, iyswim - I've been groped on the tube myself before now, I suppose when I see the word 'assault' I tend to think of something more serious (that's not to belittle how vile gettng groped by some perv is!).

Very sorry to hear about what happened to you, HPG

HappypillsGalore Fri 22-Aug-08 00:54:56

sad isnt it, that its so normal?

thanks for sympathy, s'ok tho, was a long time ago... and i won! (since he didnt manage to rape or murder me) so its all good smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now