Talk

Advanced search

Article in The Scotsman about the Catholic Church being against Safe sex/contraception leaflets being handed out to girls in Scottish schools.

(22 Posts)
saltire Sun 17-Aug-08 13:52:40

article here. Justine gets a mention. Sorry if it's been mentioned already,had a look an couldn't find it.
It's not clear if the leaflets aren't going to be handed out in all schools or jsut Catholic ones

MrsMattie Sun 17-Aug-08 13:55:38

Oh don't get me started on the Catholic church...

mayorquimby Mon 18-Aug-08 10:44:02

well of course they'd object it goes against their religion doesn't it?
i wouldn't blame them for objecting to something that goes against their religion no more than i would any other religion doing the same.
i would however blame those who bow down to their pressure when it concerns areas that have nothing to do with them.

nailpolish Mon 18-Aug-08 10:47:30

if i see any in our school ill be marching straight to the heads office

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Mon 18-Aug-08 10:51:51

why can't they get over the fecking sex thing. they are obsessed with teenage girls and sex. it is like it all Cardinal Keith O'Brien can think about wink. i can't believe the government and education authorities are listening to religious cults in this day and age.

PuppyMonkey Mon 18-Aug-08 10:54:18

This is what they always do. Not news.

saltire Mon 18-Aug-08 11:02:21

Would you object though if you were non Catholic, and your daughter wasn't able to get proper contraceptive advice thorugh the school becasue the health Board, Education board and Scottish Governemnt had backed down to the Catholic church?
It's not an issue that affects me directly, as the mother of 2 boys. However I was chatting to my friend about this, she has a 13 year old. She said that she felt the injection was ok, but she wasn't sure about the leaflets being handed out, and felt that individual parents should be givent eh choice, through their school of getting the leaflets handed out. However, she also felt that the Catholic Church shouldn't be getting involved in educationa nd political issues that don't involve them, and would complain to the school, health authority and education board about it. She did in fact say that she would tell them that she was "offended".

mayorquimby Mon 18-Aug-08 11:14:27

"Would you object though if you were non Catholic, and your daughter wasn't able to get proper contraceptive advice thorugh the school becasue the health Board, Education board and Scottish Governemnt had backed down to the Catholic church?"

yes i would object pretty strongly as is my right.
just as the church has every right to complain about something they disagree with.
as i said before i don't blame them for exercising their right to dissent, they represent a good number of the people n the community.
i blame the government for backing down to their political pressure where the voice of religion should have no say. so yes sex education in state schools would be one of those issues.
just as i'd fully accept their right to ban the leaflets from catholic schools as their they clearly should have a say.

falcon Mon 18-Aug-08 13:14:28

The Catholic Church should keep their noses out of something that is clearly none of their business.

I could just about understand them wanting to keep this information out of Catholic schools but this was intended for all schools and the Health executives are weak and pathetic to go along with this.

Religion has no business involving it's self with government matters.

rebelmum1 Mon 18-Aug-08 13:23:03

I thought it was just for Catholic schools have I mis-read the article?

rebelmum1 Mon 18-Aug-08 13:23:59

There's nothing stopping parents giving their children a talk on safe sex is there? Or do you need to be an expert wink

ConstanceWearing Mon 18-Aug-08 13:26:34

Out and out sexism.

Pisses me off ,gggggrrrrrr.

Tortington Mon 18-Aug-08 13:33:04

"Would you object though if you were non Catholic, and your daughter wasn't able to get proper contraceptive advice thorugh the school becasue the health Board, Education board and Scottish Governemnt had backed down to the Catholic church?" saltire

what parents have to totally defer their parenting?

i am catholic and i haver paid privatley for my 15 year old daughter to have it

my parenting is not left up to the school or local PCT.

i realise that most parents aren't as perfect as me grin

mayorquimby Mon 18-Aug-08 13:39:52

"Out and out sexism.

Pisses me off ,gggggrrrrrr"

sorry for my ignorance, but how is it sexist?

ConstanceWearing Mon 18-Aug-08 13:48:00

Because nobody should be left in ignorance of how to have sex safely, or otherwise everbody should be. If it's only the girls that aren't allowed to be informed about safe sex, that's sexist (imo. May be wrong. I do like to rant before I've thought about things properly grin )

Tortington Mon 18-Aug-08 13:48:09

if someone wants to stick a series of needles into your kid

as a good parent you should find out what they are for.

mayorquimby Mon 18-Aug-08 13:58:21

"Because nobody should be left in ignorance of how to have sex safely, or otherwise everbody should be. If it's only the girls that aren't allowed to be informed about safe sex, that's sexist (imo. May be wrong. I do like to rant before I've thought about things properly ) "

sorry i think one of us misread the article.
are the government also informing boys of safe sex in this campaign and the catholic church are ok with this but not with girls?

i presumed that this campaign was only informing girls about safe sex in connection with the jab against cervical cancer and as such there was no need for the catholic church to object to boys receiving the advice as there was never any intention to inform boys about safe sex as part of this campaign.that's why i didn't get your sexist claim as i thought the church where only objecting to the girls receiving the info as they were the only intended recipients, i assume that if the government had been intending to educate the boys as well the church would have objected to that as well.

as i said i may have misread it and would appreciate clarification either way.

ConstanceWearing Mon 18-Aug-08 14:00:32

Here's some clarification which may help us both -

I read the post title not the article grin

mayorquimby Mon 18-Aug-08 14:07:23

haha fair enough
i often do that myself.
see the thread title, feel the blood boil, come flying in with all the rage and thunder i can muster.

MrsMattie Mon 18-Aug-08 14:08:52

lol. I just have to see "Catholic Church' in a post title and my blood boils. Clearly my problem blush smile

ConstanceWearing Mon 18-Aug-08 14:09:55

blush grin from me too. I really must stop that.

MrsBick Wed 20-Aug-08 12:55:12

surely if these girls are at the age to start thinking about sex, they are also at an age to think about religion?
Perhaps the intention is to reach the ones who may not want to be catholics but whose parents do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now