Talk

Advanced search

The 10 year old girl who 'sang' at the Olympic opening ceremony was miming

(19 Posts)
combustiblelemon Tue 12-Aug-08 15:26:37

Because the 7 year old whose voice was used wasn't photogenic enough.
www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/12/olympics2008.china1

combustiblelemon Tue 12-Aug-08 15:27:51

Sorry, the girl who mimed was 9.

savoycabbage Tue 12-Aug-08 15:30:07

You could see hat she was miming I thought but I assumed that it was her own voice! That is bloody awful. sad

FeelingLucky Tue 12-Aug-08 15:32:50

think it's awful how the real singer was rejected for looks. what a way to teach kids about what matters in life.

combustiblelemon Tue 12-Aug-08 15:41:07

They wanted everything to be perfect. sad angry

SparklyGothKat Tue 12-Aug-08 15:47:47

is there a clip anywhere to see this??

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 12-Aug-08 15:48:09

sad

Some of the firework footage shown at the opening ceremony wasn't taken on the night either. It was filmed at an early 'test-run'.

MarkStretch Tue 12-Aug-08 15:48:34

But can she tell us how the horses got there?

DisenchantedPlusBump Tue 12-Aug-08 15:49:40

The Chinese government are so odd.

MadameCheese Tue 12-Aug-08 15:54:54

pathetic, obviously perfection is everything in China

combustiblelemon Tue 12-Aug-08 15:55:09

They flew Markstretch!

icecreamsoda Tue 12-Aug-08 15:58:23

and you don't think this would happen here? hmm

MarkStretch Tue 12-Aug-08 15:58:38

Wow thanks combust. That has been bugging me all bloody day.

combustiblelemon Tue 12-Aug-08 16:07:20

You're welcome. I had visions of turning the corner near the booze bit in Duty Free and seeing a horse chewing at the Toblerones.

Icecreamsoda, I'm not green enough to think that appearance wouldn't count. That they would pick a pretty child is kind of predictable, it's the fact that they 'stole' the girl's voice.

FeelingLucky Tue 12-Aug-08 17:28:48

but the girl with the voice was cute IMHO, just had crooked teeth which adds to cuteness, and she was younger than pretty girl, so even more brownie points in the terms of talent

tissy Tue 12-Aug-08 17:32:48

"But now it emerges that Lin lent someone else's voice, following high-level discussions - which included a member of the Politburo - on the relative photogenicity of small children."

NO! She BORROWED someone else's voice.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Pixel Tue 12-Aug-08 19:28:20

Sorry Tissy, but if you read the paragraph before that part it does make sense. They are quoting newspaper coverage praising the girl who did the miming, before it was known she was miming, iyswim.smile

"Tiny singer wins heart of nation," China Daily sighed; "Little girl sings, impresses the world," gushed another headline, perhaps in reference to Lin's appearance on the front of the New York Times. Countless articles lauded the girl in the red dress who "lent her voice" to the occasion.

But now it emerges that Lin was lent someone else's voice, following high-level discussions - which included a member of the Politburo - on the relative photogenicity of small children.

LittleBella Tue 12-Aug-08 19:35:01

This is a really nasty story. Poor little girl who can sing but doesn't look right. What a vile, vile set of values that is.

Of course it would happen here, but not with children. (Anyone remember Milli Vanilli or whatever they were called?)

tissy Tue 12-Aug-08 21:08:57

the Guardian website has corrected the error!

The paragraph in my last post was cut and pasted.

So I must have been right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now