Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Thu 07-Aug-08 19:06:31

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 07-Aug-08 19:06:58

Message withdrawn

TheCrackFox Thu 07-Aug-08 19:07:23

They do seem abit grasping.

Tortington Thu 07-Aug-08 19:10:25

i don't watch telly but caught something over thw shoulder of someone reding a newspaper on the train - if they have lost their money - feel sorry for them - not sure about protesting infrontof the bank - seems a bit hmm

FluffyMummy123 Thu 07-Aug-08 19:11:44

Message withdrawn

RubyRioja Thu 07-Aug-08 19:12:36

Forgive me if I am wrong, but it is the guests who have lost their money isn't it?

I feel for them

FluffyMummy123 Thu 07-Aug-08 19:12:57

Message withdrawn

chelsygirl Thu 07-Aug-08 19:13:28

grin

lulumama Thu 07-Aug-08 19:13:38

what is this story and what does HSBC have to do with it?

RubyRioja Thu 07-Aug-08 19:14:22

You do have to wonder about the nouse of a company that has such a positive cash flow and still f**ks up though.

Like Red Letter Days - how the hell can you get it wrong????????????????

butterflybessie Thu 07-Aug-08 19:15:23

Those brides and grooms who have just got married, they care.

The people who gave money to the company in order to buy a present for the happy couple, they care.

It is not the end of the world, but it is not a nice thing to happen to anyone

Yes people do care, just not you.

myalias Thu 07-Aug-08 19:15:37

Should have gone to Argos
Eternal beau anyone?

Pennies Thu 07-Aug-08 19:24:36

Well it affects me because I'm a guest of a bride whose gift I bought on their wrap it gift list.

So not only do we have to go through the palava of trying to get our money back, and it is a real PITA process We have to phone the administrators to try and get confirmation that they will consider processing our claim - a confirmation that has to be written, then wait for them to write to our credit card company with the details of the transaction (which they can't really very well do as Wrap it never sent us an email confirmation of our purchase) plus provide proofs of our attempts to recoup funds (i.e. provide evidence of the inital phone call we made to the administrators etc etc etc).

We've also been told that we may not get it back as we spent less than £100. So, we could technically write that off and think to ourselves that it's not my fault that my mate chose that gift service, but then it also means that unless we shell out again for a similar or identical present from elsewhere then our friends don't receive a gift from us, which isn't ideal either.

This is more of an inconveniecne to guests than the bridezillas you're imagining crying into their old toasters. Believe me.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 07-Aug-08 19:27:49

We are in a similar position to Pennies - bought a gift for a couple on the wrapit gift list. We also spent under £100 and paid for it on a debit card, so our chances of getting it back are slim I think.

Don't really want to spend that much money on them again, but it does seem unfair that they are going to be missing out on presents that people bought them in good faith.

It does annoy me a bit that when I last looked at wrapits website it still looked as if the company was functioning normally hmm

IdrisTheDragon Thu 07-Aug-08 19:29:13

Have looked again and now it explains rather more. When I looked a few days ago it still looked as if all was well.

cornsilk Thu 07-Aug-08 19:29:18

I don't understand why HSBC have their money? What's this 'wrap it' thing anyway? Don't people just buy presents these days? Why on earth do they have to go through a company to do that?

squeaver Thu 07-Aug-08 19:31:57

Completely agree. Just deal with it ffs.

One of them compared their situation to that Farepak Christmas thing a few years ago "I mean Xmas happens every year but you only get married once". !!!

squeaver Thu 07-Aug-08 19:34:05

Ruby - you're right. Don't understand how they messed it up.

morningpaper Thu 07-Aug-08 19:35:04

<shudder> at comparing to Farepak

There is something I find slightly amusing about it, but am trying to be charitable

IdrisTheDragon Thu 07-Aug-08 19:35:24

It was a wedding list service that meant you could choose presents from lots of different places.

wrapit had been making losses for a while and was having problems meeting deadlines for payments to suppliers.

The website says this about HSBC

Q Is it true that the financial difficulties were caused by HSBC blocking card payments and holding £1 million of Wrapit's money?

A The Administrators are aware that Wrapit had been struggling for some time (the company has made losses for a number of years) and had been seeking funding from other sources but without success. The Administrators have a duty to produce a report to creditors within 8 weeks and this report will give further details of the events leading up to the Administration of Wrapit. The Bank has advised that it regrets the failure of the company but it had taken professional advice and believes it acted wholly appropriately in the circumstances.

Website is here. I find the bit at the bottom about expressing an interest in buying their fixtures and fittings quite grin.

nickytwotimes Thu 07-Aug-08 19:36:21

I nearly started a thread yesterday along these lines, but was too chicken.

Told dh I hadn't much sympathy as I hate wedding lists - he said I was a meanie.

I do think it's a shame when anyone loses money, but that's life.

I hate what weddings have become: 5 day hen events, expensive gifts and Bridezillas.

Pennies Thu 07-Aug-08 19:36:24

Yes, I saw the Farepack comment and thought it was crass in the extreme. The press should really have interviewed guests because we're the ones shafted.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 07-Aug-08 19:37:27

Message withdrawn

Califrau Thu 07-Aug-08 19:38:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now