loader

Talk

Advanced search

Things that make men cry, according to BBC listeners

(18 Posts)
saltire Wed 06-Aug-08 17:32:04

makes interesting reading

edam Wed 06-Aug-08 17:38:47

aw, bless them. Such a sad story about finally getting a personal message engraved on the war grave.

saltire Wed 06-Aug-08 18:06:33

The only time I have ever seen my 6ft 7" tall brother cry was on a trip to commenwealth war graves and Auschwitz. i didn't go, but he showed us a video he had taken - one of our great great uncles is buried there. On it he is clearly seen crying. DB crying, not uncle

He said it was seeing the graves, some just saying "A British soldier", or some giving an age, such as 20. he said when he was 20 he had gone off for 2 years round Austrlaia dn New Zealand, he now had a partner and a child and that for some of these men they never had that, and that the only reason we did was becasue these unnamed, young men gave theri lives.
He obviously didn't have to explain about Auswitz

DisenchantedPlusBump Wed 06-Aug-08 18:16:59

Im crying! lol

Dior Wed 06-Aug-08 18:19:08

Message withdrawn

DontCallMeBaby Wed 06-Aug-08 18:24:40

Me too, Disenchanted. <sniff>

I'm always setting myself off. I gave DD a stirring account of the death of Captain Scott* the other day, upon which she ran off and started playing round the war memorial - I thought 'PLEASE don't now ask me what that's all about, because then I am just going to end up sobbing'.

* there was a reason for this, not my everyday choice of conversation with a 4yo

ChairmumMiaow Wed 06-Aug-08 18:27:19

My husband cried at our wedding, when DS was born, and today when he had to tell the vet to put our dog down

saltire Wed 06-Aug-08 19:05:45

Oh yes, Dh has cried a few times - at the birth of our Dses, although he says it's becasue I punched him, and at the dogs being put down, and then again recently when we took the DSes to see the War Cemetary at the Royal Victoria Park near Southampton,

lucyellensmum Wed 06-Aug-08 19:08:08

I can count the times ive seen DP cry on one hand.

When his dad was taken ill
When my dad died
When we had our dog put to sleep
When i got rid of his parrot [evil woman]
When DD was born
When we were talking about splitting once.

So, i have six fingers

CoteDAzur Wed 06-Aug-08 19:26:53

For father's day, I made a short video of DH & DD's pictures, to the sound of "Playground Love" by Air. DH got something in his eye while watching it smile

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 06-Aug-08 20:21:32

"Just yesterday. I met my youngest's boyfriend for the first time and realised I'd lost my little girl. I managed to get home before I blubbed. Oh no, I'm doing it again now whilst I'm writing this."

"After visiting my grandfather's grave in Hermanville-sur-Mer War Cemetery, France for the first time in August 2005 with my father, I noticed that his headstone didn't have any personal message engraved. I asked my father in all innocence why this was so. He promptly burst into tears, saying that the British government charged families in the 1940s for this service, and his newly widowed mother with two young children couldn't afford it. I promised him there and then that I would arrange it for him. Finally in December 2007, I received pictures from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission showing that it had at last been done. I got the pictures printed and rushed them to him as he lay in hospital. He finally saw them on 5 December, 2007, and gave my mother the thumbs up. The next day, he succumbed to secondary cancer. That gets me every time."

sob

Pruners Wed 06-Aug-08 20:23:45

Message withdrawn

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 06-Aug-08 20:31:36

My FIL sobbed throughout my wedding. DH & I had put bets on who would cry, I made a tenner out of it.
He cried through the ceromony, cried several times through the reception. When my dad did his speech, he said something about how fathers dont like to think of their little girls all grown up, but when DH turned up on his motorbike come rain, sleet, snow and several incidents of being knocked off / falling off, dad thought he better take our relationship seriously. FIL (who has a daughter) burst into tears again.
He wrote in our guest book something like "not losing a son, but gaining a daughter" and cried while writing it.
It was really sweet grin

I have seen my dad cry, when his mum died, and when he was having a nervous breakdown.

I have seen DH cry. Mostly when we were having Serious Talks About Our Relationship.

GrinningGorilla Wed 06-Aug-08 20:35:44

My ex booed whilst watching "platoon".......

theSuburbanDryad Wed 06-Aug-08 20:36:21

Dh cried at the birth of ds. When we were talking about splitting up (i told him i wished i'd never met him sadblush)

I was crying too then though, so we probably set each other off.

Smithagain Wed 06-Aug-08 20:46:12

Am sobbing over the one about the war grave with no engraving.

BitOfFun Wed 06-Aug-08 20:51:37

I was crying myself reading about the war graves - will no doubt cry again when I try to explain it to DP. On a less serious note, I did spot him having "an issue with dust" when I made him watch Beaches once hmm

Mercy Wed 06-Aug-08 21:01:23

I love Richard from cloudcuckooland.

As for my dh he has been near to tears only 4 times iirc - the first 3 when we had serious rows and I said I wanted to end the relationship.

The fourth and very recent time was when I said I thought ds may have slight behaviour/emotional problems and he wasn't helping me deal with the situation, and in fact making things worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now