Talk

Advanced search

Pup Kills Baby

(21 Posts)
LuckySalem Wed 06-Aug-08 15:30:10

How the hell could they not have heard this child and what are they doing leaving it alone for so long.... let alone with a young dog.

poor child and poor pup

4andnotout Wed 06-Aug-08 15:32:42

This is so sad
You would have thought one of the 3 had heard something!

goingslowlymad Wed 06-Aug-08 15:33:06

The link isn't working

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 06-Aug-08 15:33:26

thats what i thought when i read it. a puppy doesnt knwo what is plaything and what is not, they should never have been left togther. poor baby. sad

but surely the mother must have heard the dog egtting excited/the baby crying?

ilovemydog Wed 06-Aug-08 15:35:31

Never never never leave a dog alone with a child/baby. Ever.

I trust my 2 golden retrievers, but I never ever will let them be in the same room alone with DD or DS. Ever.

LuckySalem Wed 06-Aug-08 15:42:11

There is a link at the bottom to follow the story further on and there is mention of drugs but that the mother just went for a sleep about 65yrds away from where the baby was.

Still don't know why they thought it was ok to leave it alone with a dog. Or what they thought they were doing leaving it alone for 2 hrs anyway! angry

There is mention to the dog "eating" the child? I don't know if I beleive that to be honest.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 06-Aug-08 15:46:09

i reckon a pup of that age probably just thought that it was playing. 6 weeks old is very young it should still have been with its mother.

i trust my dog entirely 110% infact i do leave the room for short periods, minutes no longer with the dog and the dds together. any lonegr than that and dd2 is in the playpen where she cannot destroy the house and the dog cannot reach her. dd1 is old enough to shout me if the dog got aggressive, which she would never ever do. when she was a puppy she was not left alone with dcs at all. not even for one minute.

LuckySalem Wed 06-Aug-08 15:49:49

seashells - We are planning on becoming foster parents for dogs soon and I would never leave DD alone with ANY of those dogs as I don't know they're history. However, with my own dog that I knew (we dont have one yet btw) I still wouldn't go out of earshot!! Thats what makes you wonder!

There is more to this story than is being told.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 06-Aug-08 15:55:18

normally, well always my dog follows me around the house so i dont have to worry about her and the dds being together but i suspect she follows me because when she was a puppy and i needed to leave the room even just to walk into the kitchen to take out a dinner plate i called her to come with me so that she was not alone with dd1.

the mother was also very young though, so i have some sympathy for her. but you do ont leave animals and babies together alone for amount of time.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 06-Aug-08 15:56:10

i agree there must be more to it than that. drugs maybe?

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 06-Aug-08 15:56:49

Isn't 8 weeks young to be in a baby swing?

Poor child sad

TwoIfBySea Wed 06-Aug-08 19:37:09

I have a guide dog pup, a lab/goldie and at that age they have very sharp teeth.

However, once bitten the baby would have cried out surely? And on hearing that the pup would have stopped, unlike older dogs who can sometimes be affected by the cries of a baby. So there must be something more.

And knowing the size of both pup and baby it must have been at the baby for hours to actually kill.

3andnomore Wed 06-Aug-08 20:10:07

The Puppy wasn't 6 weeks but between 2-3 month, the update states....can't find anything about drugs mentioned....

hm....very sad story....and wonder if it was the pup...however, whatever way you look at it, the parents are at fault, I think....surely you do not leave a newbown unattendet, without any checking for an hour, unless, maybe safe in a cot?

thisisyesterday Wed 06-Aug-08 20:18:01

what a sad, sad story

LuckySalem Wed 06-Aug-08 20:46:37

I agree 3ANM! - It's really sad.

mamadiva Fri 08-Aug-08 09:13:53

OMG the poor baby was left in a swing for an hour and a half before they realised he was dead. Poor kid can't eblame the puppy just thought it was playing. Parents shouldve tried looking after their kid rather than standing around talking to each other for an*hour!

lilymolly Fri 08-Aug-08 09:27:06

oh my god how sad.

But my goodness how irresponable of the parents.

I bred lab puppies last year and to be honest, I am amazed this has happened as soon as a puppy nips another and it yelps it will immeadiatly stop, so the baby would have cried first, so for that much damage to be done, no one must have been anywhere near them.

oh and of course the puppy ends up dead also cos it is so his fault angry

LuckySalem Sat 09-Aug-08 17:56:35

It is terribly sad and i'm glad I'm not the only one who felt sorry for both pup and child.

Maybe they should both be castrated now?

pastapestofor6 Sun 10-Aug-08 05:41:33

to be fair if baby was asleep then an hour would not be an unreasonable amount of time to be left would it although I cant imagine not checking a bit more often
do you think that possible the pup could have lain over the poor baby thus suffocating him?
seems more plausable to me, I remember a case years ago where this happened with a baby in a car seat and a cat

LuckySalem Sun 10-Aug-08 09:17:16

I could understand that but tbh, they wouldn't insist that the dog was put down unless there were bite marks. So it must have bitten the pup.

I have no problem leaving DD alone for as long as she's asleep but it's stupid of them to leave the baby alone with any animal.

sarah293 Sun 10-Aug-08 09:19:07

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now