Talk

Advanced search

not a nice story sorry. but just a remined how dangerous sand can be

(8 Posts)
2shoes Mon 04-Aug-08 22:19:09

here

S1ur Mon 04-Aug-08 22:33:42

There was a story last year (?) about a little girl who was buried in a hole she'd dug. Horrible.

And although I admit I would know keep a close eye on my dcs digging enormous holes, I refuse to spend my days out on beach fretting over the dangers that may lurk.

WendyWeber Mon 04-Aug-08 22:35:58

Oh, I saw that this morning sad

It was big enough for them to walk through shock

Penelope Leach had a paragraph on this in her baby & child book IIRC - just a general thing about visitors to places not understanding local risks, but specifically mentioning the risk of sand tunnels collapsing.

2shoes Mon 04-Aug-08 22:44:50

I think it is something we all did as children(although not that big)

blithedance Mon 04-Aug-08 23:02:31

I work in the building industry - you are not allowed to descend an unsupported pit (for example if digging up the road) that is deeper than four feet/1.2m, i.e chest height on an average man. The idea being that if it collapsed your lungs and head would be free to breathe.

If I saw someone on a beach digging a 5 foot tunnel I would certainly have strong words - the phrase "Death trap" comes to mind (and I'm not normally the type to interfere). Sand dries out quickly in the sun and then will collapse like sugar. <shudders>

blithedance Mon 04-Aug-08 23:03:56

if they want to dig a huge hole then the sides should be sloped!

twoGsinBuggerOff Mon 04-Aug-08 23:16:43

god how awful
what a way to go sad

kormachameleon Mon 04-Aug-08 23:24:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now