Talk

Advanced search

The Rich According to the Guardian

(841 Posts)
Judy1234 Mon 04-Aug-08 14:03:14

www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/aug/04/workandcareers.executivesalaries

Swedes Mon 04-Aug-08 14:15:51

"Those who make the most money, meanwhile, seem less willing than ever to see it redistributed. Tax consultants Grant Thornton estimated that in 2006 at least 32 of the UK's 54 billionaires paid no income tax at all."

Very poor reporting by the Guardian. Just because someone doesn't pay income tax, it doesn't mean they don't pay tax.

findtheriver Mon 04-Aug-08 14:18:52

The article confirms what most of us already know - there is often no positive correlation between hard work/skills and remuneration. I used to work in a more lucrative career and to be honest the work was easier than what I do now. A lot of the people I worked with were arseholes though!

charitygirl Mon 04-Aug-08 14:42:58

Well I'm sure they pay VAT, but why don't they pay income tax?

Don't think the Guardian is claiming anything other than that.

spokette Mon 04-Aug-08 14:45:54

Swedes "Very poor reporting by the Guardian. Just because someone doesn't pay income tax, it doesn't mean they don't pay tax."

What is telling is that more energy is expended in chasing down income tax avoiders/dodgers who earn much less than mega rich because they are an easier target. Why should we tolerate that too many rich folk think it is their right not to pay income tax just because they are rich?

This article highlights what most sensible folk know already - there is a big difference between being paid a huge salary than actually earning one.wink

Earlybird Mon 04-Aug-08 14:55:23

I wonder how many of those billionaires are not British, and perhaps pay tax in their country of origin?

For a good few years, I didn't pay income tax in the UK. But I was paying tax in my country of origin, which had a reciprocal agreement with the British government - and it wouldn't have been fair to pay double tax - ie, in both countries.

However, during my time in the UK I paid VAT, council tax, NI, etc. And when the time comes to sell the flat I will pay tax to the British government on proceeds.

I am a long way from a billionaire (understatement!), and know nothing about tax shelters, shell companies, off shore accounts etc that are presumably familiar to those who earn 7 figures or more a year!

smallwhitecat Mon 04-Aug-08 15:28:32

Message withdrawn

dittany Mon 04-Aug-08 15:41:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

edam Mon 04-Aug-08 15:45:10

<<round of applause>> for Dittany

smallwhitecat Mon 04-Aug-08 15:45:50

Message withdrawn

spokette Mon 04-Aug-08 15:59:00

"Only the little people pay taxes" Leona Helmsley (sp??). Lovely woman .............not. At least she spent time in jail to stew over her arrogance.

dittany Mon 04-Aug-08 15:59:59

spokette Mon 04-Aug-08 16:01:16

"suppose, is that if you're not in the country very much benefitting from taxpayer-funded services why should you pay tax there"

They are benefitting from taxpayer funded services though. If their property was broken into (most of these people tend to have property here), they would expect the police to tend to it.

spokette Mon 04-Aug-08 16:02:08

Amen Dittany!

smallwhitecat Mon 04-Aug-08 16:05:01

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Mon 04-Aug-08 16:10:25

Message withdrawn

dittany Mon 04-Aug-08 16:14:02

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 16:16:43

funny how this thread has only 17 replies.

but any of the ones about people claiming benefits, in particular single mothers, go on into the hundreds.

hmm

Judy1234 Mon 04-Aug-08 16:17:34

I posted it because it's very very biased and left wing (and I suppose because I identify with most of the comments made by the richer people they interview). We do pay more tax, much more but that's not really the issue. What is interesting is when you move from group A to group B and how it affects you. The need to remind yourself what the average wage is, to make yourself clean a bathroom from time to time to step on a bus (or even come on mumsnet) so you maintain your connection with the realities of other people's lives. I did over the years notice that moving into a slightly different place.

dittany Mon 04-Aug-08 16:19:33

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 16:19:50

it's an interesting point of discussion, though, Xenia.

TheBlonde Mon 04-Aug-08 16:19:54

It just reminds me why I don't read the guardian

smallwhitecat Mon 04-Aug-08 16:21:47

Message withdrawn

spokette Mon 04-Aug-08 16:25:51

Xenia "We do pay more tax". You pay the same % as those earning £35k. You seriously don't expect to pay the same amount of tax as someone on that salary, surely?hmm

dittany Mon 04-Aug-08 16:26:19

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now