Talk

Advanced search

Evil mother who killed son, 5, to spite her ex left note saying: 'I told you I would make you pay'

(164 Posts)
yerblurt Fri 01-Aug-08 11:54:04

Link here;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1040170/Evil-mother-killed-son-5-spite-ex-left-note-s aying-I-told-I-make-pay.html

Evil mother who killed son, 5, to spite her ex left note saying: 'I told you I would make you pay'

An evil mother driven by rage and jealousy killed her five-year-old son to spite his father, a horrified coroner heard yesterday.

Emma Hart, 27, force-fed Lewis Dangerfield a lethal cocktail of painkillers and antidepressants at their home, then fled to her mother's flat nearby and ended her own life by slashing her wrists.

In a note to Lewis's father, Shaun Dangerfield, which she left by the boy's body, she wrote: 'I told you I would make you pay, enjoy your life now, nothing is stopping you, ha ha ha. Just remember it's all your fault.'
Lewis Dangerfield
Emma Hart

Spite: Lewis Dangerrfield was given a fatal dose of sleeping pills before his mother Emma Hart slashed her wrists

Coroner Robin Balmain described the case as the most distressing he had ever dealt with in 25 years of inquests. 'I can't imagine something quite so evil as a mother who is prepared to do that.

'Her actions were simply spite - she was prepared to kill her son to spite Mr Dangerfield. I find it difficult to believe how anybody could do that.'

He added that he had heard no evidence to justify any criticism of Mr Dangerfield - not even from Hart's family.

'He has done everything he possibly could to fulfil his obligations to his little boy.

'She couldn't get her way and maybe she was driven by jealousy. She was prepared not only to kill herself but to do something that quite frankly, beggars belief.'

During the inquest at Smethwick, West Midlands, 27-year- old Mr Dangerfield broke down in tears as a policewoman read Hart's last note to him and had to leave the hearing to compose himself.

Giving evidence, he said Hart was troubled and hate-filled during their four-year on-off relationship, was often violent towards him and had repeatedly threatened to commit suicide.

After they separated, she was unhappy about his new partner, who also had a child, and resented Lewis spending time with them.

Hart had also lied to friends about having cancer in an attempt to gain sympathy and force Mr Dangerfield to go back to her, the inquest heard.

He had received a text from her days before the deaths which read: 'I know what to do now for the best x'. He had thought at the time it was an 'amicable' response to a disagreement they had over Lewis's custody arrangements.
Enlarge 005.1ST.01.jpg

But then on a weekend in December last year when he was due to look after Lewis, Hart changed the arrangements saying she was taking him to see Santa Claus.

On the Saturday afternoon, she took a taxi to her mother's home in Tipton and told her family that Lewis was out with his father.

But at 7pm her mother Lynn found her body in her bed, covered in blood with cut wrists.

In a note left by the bed she said she was sorry for taking her own life and confessed to killing Lewis.

It read: 'I'm so sorry for taking Lewis and me away, I just can't take it any more, I'm just not strong enough.'

Police went to Hart's house, where they found Lewis's body on a double bed covered with a duvet. Empty packets of prescription drugs were at the bedside.

Toxicologist Dr Timothy Sheehan said Lewis had consumed nearly ten times the recommended dose of the painkiller Tranadol and antidepressants.

The disturbing note, which his mother had addressed to Mr Dangerfield, also read: 'Did you really think I was going to die and allow you to bring Lewis up and play happy families with you?

'You made your choice, now you can live with it, you can hurt for the rest of your life just like the hell you have put me through the last two years.'

In another note to her family, found next to Lewis, Hart said: 'If you are asking why, look no further than Shaun - a pathetic excuse for a dad. I can't handle it any more - I have been the only one there for Lewis, so it's only right he is with me.

'Don't give Shaun anything - I love you all very much. I had to do it, I couldn't take no more, none of you could have stopped this. Don't none of you blame yourselves.'

Mr Balmain recorded a verdict of suicide for Hart as a result of slitting her wrists but said she had also taken lethal overdoses of morphine, painkillers and antidepressants.

A verdict of unlawful killing was recorded for Lewis.

He said: 'Emma Hart left a note which was severely critical of Mr Dangerfield. I have heard no evidence to justify that view.

The coroner added that Hart was driven by 'rage and hatred if she did not get her own way' and was prepared to lie about her medical condition to Mr Dangerfield - as well as friends and her own family - 'to get control' over him.

Relatives of Hart, including her mother, father, two brothers and two sisters, were all present at the inquest and frequently broke into tears.

Her mother told the inquest: 'She is not a horrible person, she was a loving mum.'

After the hearing, Mr Dangerfield said in a statement: 'Losing the biggest part of your life is haunting to say the least.
'Being told today the exact reasons as to how he was murdered won't bring him back but does bring it to an end.'

shock
... so it's only men who kill their children out of spite is it? No sign of mental illness here, just pure spite and selfishness.

ImnotOK Fri 01-Aug-08 11:57:34

shock There are quite a few cases of mothers killing their children and I do remember a few years ago readin of a woman who threw her baby from a flat balcony to stop he BF walking away.

I think it's a tragedy that any parent (mum or Dad) would ever consider doing this.

purplemunkey Fri 01-Aug-08 12:01:12

It is such a tragedy.

It's so sad that it went this far but no one could have foreseen that she'd do something so desperately extreme.

It's hard to comprehend isn't it?

OrmIrian Fri 01-Aug-08 12:03:57

Poor little boy..and his dad.

Kimi Fri 01-Aug-08 12:19:56

sad

ElenorRigby Fri 01-Aug-08 12:27:34

Just found these comments from....

* Liz Hooper the fathers sister
-------------------------------
After reading through some of these comments,there are obviously stil members of the public who believe that Emma Hart was mentally ill? Can i remind people that the inquest that was held yesterday,that i actually attended,due to it being my brothers son,actually concluded that she had no mental illness,just an over possessive personality,who ran out of threats to taunt my brother with! She did the unthinkable,no loving mother is capable of even thinking about carrying out such devastating action.My brother did everything and more that was expected of him as a father,he has lost his only child,and my family a much loved special little boy.The emptiness of not having lewis with us will be with us forever.So please,spare no pity for her,she knew exactly what she was doing,and her sickening notes that she left proved it.She used her only child as a pawn through this whole ordeal,to hurt my brother the only way possible!

- Liz.hooper, tipton, 1/8/2008 8:22

*Shaun Dangerfield the father
-------------------------------
After reading through all these comments as lewis's father i just wanted to thank you for some of the nicer comments and also for those of the voice of reason, yesterday having to listen to how my son died was without doubt the worst of my life by far, i did nothing but love my son, he was my world, better to have known his love for 5 years than not at all,
juleslady essex, how dare you even try to say that breaking up has caused this, i did not dump her to go with someone else, i met someone else 14 months after we split up.

Tragic
My sympathies to the father and his family

CrushWithEyeliner Fri 01-Aug-08 12:35:31

she force fed him the pills sad he must have known something awful was going to happen. Good God, she did it out of spite.

Quattrocento Fri 01-Aug-08 12:43:51

This is a tragic story

I wonder whether by sensationalising it in this way is serving the Daily Mail's ongoing crusade against women ..

CJMommy Fri 01-Aug-08 12:45:57

shock angry sad

How does a mother kill her child????? I will never understand sad

TinkerBellesMum Fri 01-Aug-08 12:47:39

That's awful. And yes, plenty of mothers kill their children.

I'm not showing her sympathy, but I don't believe there was absolutely no mental illness there, those are not the actions of a sane mother. Even the sister's description isn't of a sane person.

lulumama Fri 01-Aug-08 12:49:00

abslutely horrific, how terrible for the father .

i am not sure re no sign of mental illness, a woman who lies about having cancer and does soemthing this horrific and then kills herself, is hardly in a healthy frame of mind. no-one, male or female who behaved like this could surely be 'normal'. or maybe it is preferable to think that, than to accept it was an evil act done in cold blood

Flightputsonahat Fri 01-Aug-08 12:51:20

It sounds (not sure how much to believe from the DM but anyway) like the poor little boy would probably heva been pretty damaged already, with all the hoo ha going on between them. She sounds extremely ill and damaged. Mental illness can present in many ways, this sounds like a very extreme case, goodness knows what had happened to this woman to turn her into such a dangerous person to herself and her child.
But there was obviously something seriously wrong with her. I mean behaviour like that is just not normal.

I don't like to suggest the little child is better off dead and I wouldn't do so, but perhaps his life was pretty unbearable already. This was probably just the final piece of a very unhappy life. sad

Flightputsonahat Fri 01-Aug-08 12:52:04

Cross posted with Lulu and Tink's mum there.

RedHead81 Fri 01-Aug-08 12:56:03

your mind has to have been impaired to have done this disgusting vile act - how??? She took the easy way out by killing herself - death is too good for people that kill.

To kill your own child? I can't understand why people could even think it let alone do it? Sick Sick woman - poor father - what could he have done that was so bad to have warranted her doing that?

ConstanceWearing Fri 01-Aug-08 12:57:07

I'm going to get flamed to fark, so I probably won't come back on this post <well 'ard emoticon>

How many of us have been supporting mums through similar difficulties on other threads? One name in particular leaps right out at me, as a lady right now who is finding the pain, humiliation, and sorrow almost too hard to handle.

It still kills after two years. It does. I can imagine her pain, poor woman. And yes it was wrong to kill her little boy, but clearly the part of her brain that shuts-off these thoughts wasn't working.

I felt so sorry for the dad who leapt from the hotel balcony with his children too. It was awful and wrong. But until people accept that this kind of pain hurts to destruction, and give up with the "get over it, move on" attitude, this is going to keep happening.

It's not only the parents who are upset to destruction whose attitude is wrong, it's also the people who condone this sort of 'you weren't happy. It's ok to be selfish. Let the silly cow get on with it' behaviour who are wrong too. clearly they are wrong, or terrible terrible things like this wouldn't happen.

kormachameleon Fri 01-Aug-08 12:57:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 01-Aug-08 12:58:08

i cannot comprehend how any one can take the life of any child let alone thier own child. i also cannot believe that these are the actions of a woman who was not mentally ill.

poor little boy and poor families sad

mamadiva Fri 01-Aug-08 12:58:19

There are far too many stories regarding parents killing their children nowadays what the hell is going through these evil bastards minds? No they can't just kill themselves and piss off they have to take their innocent children down with them!?! EVIL EVIL SCUM!!! angryangryangry

My sympathies to the family and poor Lewis who died at the hands of the psycho who was supposed to be caring for him.

RIP Little man

solidgoldbrass Fri 01-Aug-08 12:59:23

With regard to mental illness: if you believe that in general the men who do this are also mentally ill then yes, this woman was mentally ill. I think on the whole I do believe that: this kind of cruelty and selfishness is not the behaviour of a healthy person, but there is a bit of a grey area between 'not responsible for his/her actions' and 'pleading mental health problems as a defence for totally self-obsessed and harmful behaviour'.
But I can't imagine the Daily Mail having printed the story without slanting it in some way to suggest that all single mothers are probably capable of this...

solidgoldbrass Fri 01-Aug-08 13:01:52

No, sorry, sexual infidelity does not EVER and NEVER will justify, explain or condone this type of behaviour. Ifyou can;t cope with losing a partner, kill your fucking self but leave your children out of it. If you are the sort of person who would kill your children to punish your partner then you see people as objects and that's probably why your partner left in the first place.

BetteNoire Fri 01-Aug-08 13:02:08

You shouldn't get flamed, Constance.
I think that was a very sensible post.

Part of the problem is that we don't understand - how can we understand something so seemingly heartless?

But of course the reality will be so much more complex than we will ever know from a newspaper article.

Just because no-one spotted any signs of mental illness doesn't mean there weren't any.

tiggerlovestobounce Fri 01-Aug-08 13:02:43

But if you think that she was mentally ill, which mental illness do you think she was displaying symptoms of?
From the reports it seems like the coroner didnt think there was any suggestion of mental ill-health, or it would have been mentioned.

Flightputsonahat Fri 01-Aug-08 13:09:38

I wonder how much training many coroners have in regard to menatl health. There are massive preconceptions and prejudices surrounding it everywhere you go.

I would say that most forms of bad or criminal behaviour can be attributed to mental illness though.

Depression, damage due to childhood abuse - I think that this woman is likely to have suffered horribly as a child and perhaps not even be awae of it. There are all sorts of things - separation from an attachment figure too early, emotional neglect, the list is endless - she was just doing to the little boy what had been doe to her I expect, but took it further.

All speculation obv.

mamadiva Fri 01-Aug-08 13:10:24

Does it really matter if she was mentally ill? I'm sorry but someone who kills ANY child let alone their own should die a bloody horrible death or rot in jail IMO mentally ill or not, I work with metally ill adults and I'm sure they know not to force feed a kid poison! Well I know it wasn't poison but it may as well be.

ConstanceWearing Fri 01-Aug-08 13:10:48

You possibly have to have been there to know what she was gong through. And be grateful you did have that shut off part of your brain that stops you from doing it.

I've been there. I wasn't evil I was completely mental.

Her mum says she was a lovely mother.

The problem is that we can't imagine that this can be a result of sexual infidelity. We see her as mad, and deserved the husband to leave her. If the xh / xp had thought she was mad, would he have left the son with her at all? No. He'd have taken his son. He thought she would 'get over it, move on, like many people do in the end.

He didn't know this could be a result of sexual infidelity, clearly.

Thank God it isn't often, because we get to the doctors, we get counselling, we get AD's etc. But it can be. And that does not make these people evil. It makes them mentally ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now