Talk

Advanced search

Killer Wives - it has to be the Daily Mail...

(15 Posts)
harpomarx Tue 29-Jul-08 22:01:00

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1039443/Go-soft-killer-wives-Women-kill-cold-blood-escape-murder-ch arge.html

Kassius Tue 29-Jul-08 22:03:21

i know. cos we all know we are overrun with viscious bands of women who run around killing men hmm

harpomarx Tue 29-Jul-08 22:07:20

exactly Kassius. I just couldn't stop staring at this headline in my local shop and feeling desparing that some cynical hack had come up with those words to discuss this issue.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 29-Jul-08 22:22:58

I love the fact that the one example they have where this defence doesn't apply, they've made a man the murderer. And all the cases where the defence does apply, it's women offing people.

theSuburbanDryad Tue 29-Jul-08 22:25:18

<<Shreds copy of DM with kitchen knives>>

harpomarx Tue 29-Jul-08 22:27:50

yes, so no let off for the man who kills his partner "in a fit of what Ministers term 'sexual jealousy'".

I assume that the Mail here is trying to say - look at all these trivial reasons for being let off murder and look at the way they have tried to trivialize this really serious issue by calling it 'sexual jealousy'

harpomarx Tue 29-Jul-08 22:28:46

Killer Dryads?

edam Wed 30-Jul-08 11:15:07

I'm bloody glad, about time too. Appalling that so many vicious, bullying, men have got away with murder 'because she was a slag' or 'nagging' or otherwise disobedient in some way.

DM has a pretty clear agenda. I know people who work there who do not subscribe to its world view. But still churn out what the editor wants. Don't think I could do it.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 30-Jul-08 11:21:32

The photo...

Man wagging finger at woman in plunge bra - a very accurate depiction of the brutality of domestic violence hmm

smallwhitecat Wed 30-Jul-08 12:34:15

Message withdrawn

edam Wed 30-Jul-08 14:06:13

teh lawyers are saying the reverse - that the current system is a dog's breakfasts. The courts have been trying, case by case, to redress the injustice in the treatment of men who kill women and women who kill men. But it's a piecemeal dog's breakfast. So new law/guidelines is/are required.

smallwhitecat Wed 30-Jul-08 14:15:19

Message withdrawn

thebecster Wed 30-Jul-08 14:19:02

The DM's wording is so shocking - saying that such women could 'escape with a manslaughter conviction'. So a woman who has been subjected to long-term abuse and then is convicted of manslaughter for killing her abuser has 'escaped'? How is such a life an 'escape'??

edam Wed 30-Jul-08 14:44:11

Just goes to show that the DM's agenda is anti-women despite being allegedly a 'woman's paper'. Only in the sense Mrs T was a 'woman's prime minister'!

I get the impression many lawyers were in favour of changing murder= life into first degree/second degree/third degree as in the US. Although the different treatment handed out to bullying, violent men who kill and blame the victim as opposed to women who are victims of violent men and kill them did need to be addressed.

harpomarx Wed 30-Jul-08 21:48:13

how could I have missed that photo, TFM??? it looks like something out of a Jackie photo story.

have also just noticed the journalist's name is James Slack. How appropriate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now