Talk

Advanced search

3,000 blank UK passports stolen - isn't that just great

(5 Posts)
Page62 Tue 29-Jul-08 11:38:18

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4420850.ece

The Foreign Office admitted a serious breach of security today after 3,000 blank passports destined for British embassies worldwide were stolen from a van.

The 24 parcels, containing blank passports and vignettes - the blank stickers for visa stamps - were taken from the vehicle, which was en-route from a factory in Oldham to RAF Northolt near London.

claricebeansmum Tue 29-Jul-08 11:39:19

Don't tell me the vehicle was left unlocked while the driver went for a cup of tea...

Page62 Tue 29-Jul-08 11:43:24

apparently hijacked near the site of the factor in Chadderton....

maybe it's been posted on eBay together with 2 CDs containing 25m child benefit records

WendyWeber Tue 29-Jul-08 11:47:46

Apparently they'll be no use for travelling because the printed inf has to match what's coded in the chip, but worth c £1800 each as fake ID?

WTF weren't they in a secure vehicle? hmm

And how did anybody know they were in this one???? hmmhmm

TwoIfBySea Tue 29-Jul-08 23:12:10

Having worked in the Passport Agency until the new owners (Siemens if your interested) sacked all the casual workers way back; I can honestly say that the amount of people who tried to get the genuine article with fake documents was enormous so I can imagine that this haul has just made someone very rich.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now