Talk

Advanced search

Radovan Karadzic finally arrested!

(20 Posts)
spicemonster Tue 22-Jul-08 08:37:05

Hurrah. Amazing how the carrot of EU membership dangled before a state allows to 'find' mass murderers who had previously been so elusive. And on the bus too!

Still, very good news for the people who have been denied justice for so long. One down, one to go ...

Megglevache Tue 22-Jul-08 09:05:42

I know I am in shock about this, I never thought it would happen. On a bus FHS I wondr how much he must of changed/altered in order to go unoticed for so long. hmm

ruty Tue 22-Jul-08 09:07:20

it is good news. don't know how he managed to remain hidden for so long. If Serbia are going to join the EU why on earth are Macedonia not allowed to? Because the Greeks won't let them according to my dh. I thought Croatia was in line to join the EU but not Serbia..

spicemonster Tue 22-Jul-08 09:18:02

He wasn't particularly hidden I don't think, just that the Serbian police weren't terribly keen on finding him. But Serbia is up for EU membership but I suspect even being put forward is dependent on Serbia finding Karadzic and Mladic and bringing them to justice.

Don't know about Macedonia's membership but it wouldn't surprise me if your DH was right ruty

donnie Tue 22-Jul-08 12:18:53

he is still admired and loved by many Serbians. Bizarre, although judging by the level of admiration there is for Stalin by so many Russians I shouldn't be surprised.

ruty Tue 22-Jul-08 13:43:01

well it is a bit like Germany after the 1stWorld War. the germans and the serbs were so hard done by by the international community that resentment and nationalism has grown dangerously again.

jeanjeannie Tue 22-Jul-08 13:55:19

Unfortunately donnie you're right - many Serbs really can't see what all the fuss is about re Karadzic shock they believe it was all in the name of 'war' and that's that sad

My FIL is Serb and his attitude towards the Serbian nation...that it is somehow a 'higher power' than surrounding nations, never ceases to amaze and frustrate me.

Just a shame it took a chance at EU membership to bring him out of his Belgrade hole.

ruty Tue 22-Jul-08 14:17:35

well the Serbs never really wanted Yugoslavia to break up, they see Macedonia, for example, as still part of them really. Many are very, very angry about Kosovo - ethnic tensions with the albanians go back centuries when the Albanians converted to Islam under the Turkish rule, and were favoured over christians as a result. Many Serbs do see what happened as all an act of war, rather than the systematic ethnic cleansing as we see it, because the ethnic tensions and rivalries go back hundreds of years in that region, and both sides had been responsible for violence [not trying to belittle the terrible ethnic cleansing that went on under the hands of Milosovic] But Serbs in villages in Kosovo have been the victims of violence and many attempts to drive them out, and those in Serbia feel very angry about it.
The problem is that the more we shun them and penalise them, the more their resentment and nationalism grows. Many live in poverty and prospects, unless they join the EU, aren't great. They don't have coastal tourism like Croatia. It is important now for the region that the international community assists their rehabilitation as a nation.

WelliesAndPyjamas Tue 22-Jul-08 14:44:18

Great news

But one thing I know. You'll never change the Serbs.

WelliesAndPyjamas Tue 22-Jul-08 14:46:44

I'd heard he'd been disguised as a priest and that the monasteries had helped him hide. But there are always all sorts of stories about these things. However, my DM is absolutely convinced she shared a lift with him in a spa in Višegrad last year. Dead ringer for him.

ruty Tue 22-Jul-08 15:12:44

LOL. do you have connections to the Balkans Wellies?

WelliesAndPyjamas Tue 22-Jul-08 15:43:41

I live (t)here
I think we've talked on a balkans related thread before, ruty. Can't think what/when but I'm sure we have. smile

ruty Tue 22-Jul-08 16:24:40

ah, are you in Bosnia?

WelliesAndPyjamas Thu 24-Jul-08 12:34:01

that's me
you have chatted before, haven't we! smile

ruty Thu 24-Jul-08 20:03:48

yes remeber now! feel slightly envious of you actually. As well as thinking you must be completely mad. grin

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 25-Jul-08 12:50:57

hey, I think the same most days too!!
so how come you know so much about this part of the world? remind me

do you ever visit down here? if you do, you have an automatic MN Bujrum with us smile

ruty Fri 25-Jul-08 13:04:34

Dh is Macedonian Wellies. We are going to Croatia next summer to have a holiday with his family. I love Macedonia, but we all got horribly sick last time we were there [not at his family's house but in Ohrid] so we are going to go to Croatia next time instead. We have been to Bosnia once, we actually drove right down to the Balkans from the UK in our old beaten up polo! Pre children of course...
How are things with you? I had a sneak at your photos. It does look beautiful, and i remember it being so. We'll have to visit one day!

EffiePerine Fri 25-Jul-08 13:07:01

I was amused to hear he'd been working as an alternative therapist

mass murderer to acupuncture and colonic irrigation

Top tip to those on the run: grow a long beard and write crappy articles for alternative health magazines grin

ruty Fri 25-Jul-08 13:10:45

yes it is a sure fire way to maintain obscurity!

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 25-Jul-08 14:43:15

alternative therapist!! I hadn't heard that one! love it. Much better than the story about pretending to be an orthodox priest. LMAO

I haven't seen Macedonia yet, ruty. Would love to one day. Croatia is very pretty (although I have only seen Dalmatia) and we've bene down there lots. Things are fine, thanks for asking, despite the usual bosnian bureaucracy driving us insane. Business is better this year (this being our 2nd year running) so feeling more stable too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now