Talk

Advanced search

anyone see the article about holidays with other families?

(31 Posts)
hatwoman Sun 20-Jul-08 21:00:58

also in the Grauniad. It's the second time I;ve read a load of twaddle about how going on holiday with other families is awful. Do journos have really horrible friends or something? Or are they just stupid and go on holiday with people they don;t like?
I totted up today and we've been on holiday with 10 different families - 5 of them twice and all of them we'd repeat it. and that's not counting weekends away which would be several more. I haven't enjoyed every single minute, and, shock horror, there have been times when my friends have annoyed me. I've even been on holiday with the odd spouse of a friend that I don't particularly warm to. but it's a holiday ffs. chill out and enjoy it.

lilolilmanchester Sun 20-Jul-08 21:59:36

I read this. Only been on holiday with another family once, and for the most part it was ace. But got to know things about the other woman which have really put me off her - didn't spoil the holiday but did spoil my relationship with her. So have some sympathy with the article TBH.

harpomarx Sun 20-Jul-08 22:02:29

It became clear to me that it was a different breed of holiday to mine when they started talking about families taking nannies and au-pairs with them...

they did seem to hook up with some random people in that article though - I would only go on holiday with good friends, have done and it was great!

lilolilmanchester Sun 20-Jul-08 22:03:15

we went on holiday with good friends - less good friends when we came back, with one of them at least.

FAQ Sun 20-Jul-08 22:03:53

<<<<<<<sticks fingers in her ears as she's going away in less than 2 weeks time with a friend and her DS>>>>>>>>

harpomarx Sun 20-Jul-08 22:03:56

not going to spill, I supppose, lilo? wink

harpomarx Sun 20-Jul-08 22:04:25

FAQ - I think you need to cover your eyes, not your ears.

FluffyMummy123 Sun 20-Jul-08 22:04:26

Message withdrawn

FAQ Sun 20-Jul-08 22:05:03

lol - good point harpo blush

hatwoman Sun 20-Jul-08 22:05:40

yes the nanny thing made dh laugh. more in a "who are these people" type way. he works in the city and doesn;t know a single person who's taken a nanny or au pair on holiday.

policywonk Sun 20-Jul-08 22:05:53

Agree hatwoman. We go on holiday with friends regularly and it's always been a good laugh (plus marvellously easy, childcare-wise). I avoided this article because I suspected it would irritate me...

hatwoman Sun 20-Jul-08 22:06:26

you're in it? is it you who take the au pair??

harpomarx Sun 20-Jul-08 22:06:40

oh, go on policywonk, read it, get irritated!

lilolilmanchester Sun 20-Jul-08 22:07:14

nothing serious, on the whole we had a great time and the holiday was great. Kids got on better than we'd ever expected. Just realised --what a lazy, pampered princess she was-- that I was too obliging!!

lilolilmanchester Sun 20-Jul-08 22:07:39

(and just realised I can't do strikeouts!!)

policywonk Sun 20-Jul-08 22:08:21

grin harpo

I'll save it for the bath, so that I can savour the irritation.

hatwoman Sun 20-Jul-08 22:08:32

it made me think of those competitve mum type articles - articles about an unpleasant type of person that's allegedly part of normal life. I live a sheltered life. most of the people I know (and holiday with) are, you kow, nice.

harpomarx Sun 20-Jul-08 22:09:55

yes, and you can dash it in the bath at a particularly annoying moment, pw.

Hulababy Sun 20-Jul-08 22:10:12

Not seen it but remember a MN thread asking for info.

Have been on holiday with family and with friends and all have gone really well. Going away with friends again this sumemr and really looking forward to it. See the friends a fair bit during rest of year too - at leats once a week, so feel comfortable with them.

Works really well for us especially as DD is an only child - she dores going away with her friends.

harpomarx Sun 20-Jul-08 22:11:26

aha Hulababy, so you mean the people on this thread are all MNnetters?!

come on, someone out themselves.

Hulababy Sun 20-Jul-08 22:12:49

Possibly so Was in media requests. My experience (all good) not required for article - said had enough stories.

MrsMopple Sun 20-Jul-08 22:17:13

We went away with another family last month and it changed the way I feel about them (dh more laid back). What irritated me was the fact that their child constantly mithered mine, at times making him cry, pushing, hitting snatching toys etc and his parents never once intervened. I'm not very confident and didn't feel it was appropriate to reprimand their child, so got into the habit of saying (often) to my ds, 'if you don't like x doing that to you, move away and we'll do something else' Needless to say we spent a lot of time away from the other family!
I think it could work well if you and teh other family have similar views on child rearing - it became obvious that we didn't. ALso bed amd bath times were different which was a bit awkward, as the other dh made it clear that he expected adult time once his ds was in bed, but mine didn;t go to bed til a good hour later and his irritation with that was obvious. Needless to say, I'm in no hurry to repeat the experience!

Turniphead1 Sun 20-Jul-08 22:21:54

I went on holiday sans DH with my two kids and with a friend (who is a single parent) and her daughter. We did have a good time but it made me realise that I would only go away with either my Dh or an adult who had no kids with them and was prepared to help me with mine (ie my sister!) as it was a hell of a lot of work and obv. my friend had her own DD to look after.

harpomarx Sun 20-Jul-08 22:26:15

crap, I meant 'the people *in this article* are all MNnetters'. Obviously. Everyone on this thread is also a MNnetter.

now I am confusing myself. It has been a long weekend.

harpomarx Sun 20-Jul-08 22:27:01

seeing as I can't even type in bold any more I may as well go to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now