Nurse gave wrong woman abortion!

(19 Posts)
TequilaMockinBird Sat 19-Jul-08 12:52:40

here

shock sad

kama Sat 19-Jul-08 12:58:09

Message withdrawn

lljkk Sat 19-Jul-08 13:02:11

It was an abortion clinic, though, wasn't it? She wasn't at a GP's getting a routine antenatal, she was in a clinic to seriously consider termination, it seems(?)

I know she should have had counselling & time to think about going ahead with termination, but she was in the initial stages of asking for one, I think(??)

LadyJogsAlot Sat 19-Jul-08 13:06:46

she didn't question what the pills were for?

sallystrawberry Sat 19-Jul-08 13:07:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

reethi96 Sat 19-Jul-08 13:07:23

But if she had only gone in for a consultation, why did she accept the drug? hmm

tiggerlovestobounce Sat 19-Jul-08 13:26:42

Strange that she didnt question it. Maybe the woman was initially just happy to take the tablets, if she had gone there with abortion in mind anyway.
The nurse seems to have got away with it pretty lightly, this is a very serious drug error.

NigellaTheOriginal Sat 19-Jul-08 13:30:22

of course the nurse was at fault for not following set checks but why on earth did the wonman not question it and just take the drug being offered?
or maybe she was too stressed out to think.

RusselBrussel Sat 19-Jul-08 13:32:27

Yes it is sad, but I find it very very odd that the lady accepted and took the drug without questioning what it was for???

BibiThree Sat 19-Jul-08 13:33:26

In that state of mind, seriously considering aborting, maybe she was just in auto-mode and as most of us trust and don't question health professionals, she just took the pills and thought it was "routine"?

Still bloody awful the mistake that was made though! It just should never happen.

Beetroot Sat 19-Jul-08 13:35:19

would you take a pill without asking what it was for?

BetteNoire Sat 19-Jul-08 13:35:29

The nurse made a very fundamental error.
I agree that she seems to have got off lightly.
It makes me think that there must be more to this story than has been reported.

lulumama Sat 19-Jul-08 13:40:02

agree with bibithree.... a lot of people find medical settings scary anyway, never mind the emotional issues of being in a clinic considering termination.... so you might not feel you could question the nurse..

let's not blame the woman herself for such a fundamental error on the part of the nurse

i doubt the nurse feels great about what she did. she must feel horrendous , i doubt she intended to give the wrong woman a termination

BibiThree Sat 19-Jul-08 18:14:15

I honestly don't know, I have done things unquestioningly while in hospital, thinking afterwards "Wtf? Why did I do that? Why didn't I question that?"

IMO the onus was on the nurse to make sure she was doing her job as protocol dictates. Sadly, not all people have the wherewithal or confidence (sp?) to question things they don't think they know much about.

morningpaper Sat 19-Jul-08 21:56:25

Yes - it sounds like she was having a pre-termination consultation - was not an antenatal clinic or anything...

youngbutnotdumb Mon 21-Jul-08 12:34:32

I know it's been said a few times now but didn't she wonder why she was given drugs when all she wanted was a consultation?

figroll Mon 21-Jul-08 12:36:57

It happened at the Calthorpe Clinic which is an abortion clinic. It also does such things as sterilisation, but it most certainly isn't an antenatal clinic - it is private too, so not on the NHS (not that that has any bearing on the matter).

SoupDragon Mon 21-Jul-08 12:37:01

There is no doubt the nurse made a mistake and was wrong but, like others, I'm surprised the woman didn't question the drugs.

lou031205 Wed 23-Jul-08 21:12:44

She didn't need further treatment, according to the NMC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now