Talk

Advanced search

Stupid Dr Ali

(10 Posts)
Prufrock Sun 06-Feb-05 11:21:13

I am fuming after reading "Dr Ali" in teh Mail on Sunday today (I usually fume at something in the mail - which we only get because DH has to read the financial bit for work)

In response to a question about why a womans babies keep catching colds he spouts a load of useless, but harmless stuff about labour trauma, cold weather etc. but he then goes on to say that bm provides everything a baby needs ^if the mothers diet is right^, and the bf mothers should avoid "Alcohol, cofee, yeast products (which give the baby colic) spicy foods, canned foods, fungal products(including cheese, mushrooms and vinegar) and smoking."

And as if the "breastfeeding is difficult" message has not been enough, he then goes on to give the frankly dangerous advice to feed a baby (ie under 12 months in my reading) "cottage chhese with a little honey...add five finely crushed almonds"

What the f** is this man on?

prunegirl Sun 06-Feb-05 11:23:47

Message withdrawn

hercules Sun 06-Feb-05 11:33:49

Gosh, what a surprise! A health professional who know nothing about breastfeeding yet thinks they do.

NameChangingMancMidlander Sun 06-Feb-05 11:48:16

is this person a genuine medical doctor ? i'm shocked that he has given the honey & nuts advice. i expect there'll be a surge of 'dear editor' type letters in the coming weeks.

PuffTheMagicDragon Sun 06-Feb-05 11:52:51

The Daily Mail is always full of crap, which is why I like reading it, I can laugh my head off. That however is dangerous.

WideWebWitch Sun 06-Feb-05 11:55:22

ALMONDS! What a tosser, but if you will read The Mail Prufrock Maybe you should just let dh read his bit and try to stop yourself opening the rest? Why don't you write them a shitty letter pointing out how wrong they are? (use a pseudonym if you don't want to admit to having read it!)

jangly Sun 06-Feb-05 11:55:40

Its really bad about the nuts! You could e-mail them here or put a message on their (Femail) health board!

pupuce Sun 06-Feb-05 11:59:39

On the continent they do give honey and almonds regularely before 1. Sweet almond milk is a substitute to cow based formula for some too (from birth!)

noddyholder Sun 06-Feb-05 12:19:12

Almond milk is often given to babies in India i think as is honey in water I followed Dr ali's book for food 'prescriptions'for a couple of things and it was really good.Not sure about for babies though

JulieF Tue 08-Feb-05 00:16:05

Honey is a huge no no for babies under 1. It even says on jars of honey NOT to give it to babies. I hope that someone points this out to the paper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now