Talk

Advanced search

The Gulf Between MPs And The Plebs

(7 Posts)
TwoIfBySea Wed 16-Jul-08 23:58:02

Okay so I can't be alone in thinking that while the redundancies start big style, while incomes are not keeping up with outgoings...the attitude of those voted to "represent" us smacks of "let them eat cake"?

I am just curious on what others think on this.

Particularly this £24k allowance they give themselves which is double what most people are earning. Yet they can't find the money to give the people who are on strike in England the equivalent of 50p an hour extra. And Brown and Darling lecturing us on waste and food while they chow down on luxury dinners.

I wonder where it will all end.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Thu 17-Jul-08 00:20:09

hi, yes, dh and i were talking about this earlier today (after realising that we are about to hit our overdraft on the 17th of the month, a new record!!, its usually around the 24th blush) that they really don't seem to have a clue about real life.

remember that programme a couple of years ago when Michael Portillo tried to live like a single mum for a week? he actually did ok-ish, but it really showed up the difference in lifestyles. eg i automatically check all the brand prices in the supermarket and look for bargains/bogofs etc. Can't remember the last time i bought something without checking price.

Amphibimum Thu 17-Jul-08 00:33:32

they dont seem to have the foggiest grip on reality or fact in any area though, do they?
youd think, if looking to make new legislation in a given area, that theyd ask, you know, people who know about that stuff. you know, real people who actually know about it, not more people who studied it 4th hand, 20 yrs ago, while not actually going anywhere near it...

Callisto Thu 17-Jul-08 08:01:20

I particularly appreciate Alistair Darling and Gordon Brown telling me and DH that we shouldn't ask for above-inflation pay rises this year.

TheCrackFox Thu 17-Jul-08 11:24:30

I love the way they try to act that it is so tough having to re-apply for your job every 4-5 years. Who else is guaranteed work for that amount of time, no matter how incompetent you are?

They do seem to think that we are a bottomless pit for all these stealth taxes they impose. Whilst at the same time they have no idea, because of their allowance system, how much everything actually costs. The House Of Commons seems to have lost all touch with reality.

LittleBella Thu 17-Jul-08 13:14:53

"I wonder where it will all end."

It will never end. It was ever thus. And ever will be.

Callisto Thu 17-Jul-08 14:45:23

Actually, I think politicians used to have far more respect for the electorate and be far more in touch with them too. The current crop is incredibly corrupt and couldn't give a shite what we think. And I include all of them, with the exception of a few like David Davies, in this assessment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now