Talk

Advanced search

Living in a world without waste - Zero Waste

(13 Posts)
charliecat Fri 11-Jul-08 17:39:57

doesnt the reporter put a negative spin on this:(
This is what we should all be doing.

Flashman Fri 11-Jul-08 19:20:05

Fine but I would want a serious reduction in my CT - in fact beyond the police and fire service and lights what services would I receive from local govt.

sarah293 Fri 11-Jul-08 19:23:42

Message withdrawn

Callisto Fri 11-Jul-08 19:30:27

It makes perfect sense to me but can you imagine the outcry in this country if there was no refuse collection and we all had to be responsible for all of our waste? People in the UK can't even seem to recycle bottle, newspapers and cans without bitching about it.

Callisto Fri 11-Jul-08 19:31:35

But Riven, if it is recycled it isn't waste because it isn't thrown away... wink

sarah293 Fri 11-Jul-08 19:32:31

Message withdrawn

Flashman Fri 11-Jul-08 19:32:42

The think the main problem here in this country is that we pay so much for bin collections that we don't want some jumped up jobs worth telling us what we can and can't put in our bins.

sarah293 Sat 12-Jul-08 07:54:41

Message withdrawn

Greyriverside Sat 12-Jul-08 09:04:21

>>residents have to compost all their food waste and sort other rubbish into 34 different categories<<
lol what kind of person would do that just to make life easier for the authorities. Are people that submissive really?

>>People have to take full responsibility for everything they throw away.>>

I do take full responsibility for everything I throw away. I employ professional people via my taxes to remove, sort and dispose of my rubbish as we always have. It's only lately that they are whining "We want the money, but we don't feel like doing the job" Well tough shit.

purpleduck Sat 12-Jul-08 09:22:10

34 seems excessive. but I think its an amazing initiative.

Why can't we do what Germany does, and have more recycling more enforced iyswim

Some people seem to think it is our right to chuck all in the bin/not recycle. Its not.

waffletrees Sat 12-Jul-08 14:05:02

Greyriverside - you are right. most councils don't want to get their hands dirty anymore. They want the money and all the nice jobs.

Flashman Sat 12-Jul-08 16:40:38

i think it is my right.

melpomene Sat 12-Jul-08 19:05:54

I would be delighted to have the chance to recycle things such as plastic packaging which is not currently recycled in our area. But I'm not convinced it makes sense to oblige individuals to travel to recycling centres instead of having doorstep collections. Presumably some people have to drive to the recycling centre, and lots of individuals driving separately is worse for the environment than having a single truck collecting the rubbish. And what happens to elderly or disabled people who can't physically manage to sort rubbish and transport it - is there any exemption? I'd also be interested in what they do with disposable nappies...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now