Talk

Advanced search

Street View - What do you think?

(7 Posts)
cupsoftea Fri 11-Jul-08 09:49:02

Just checked it out maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/
& read about it in the good old DailyMail www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1031861/Big-Brother-The-Google-cars-photograph-EVERY-door-Br itain.html

Looks like I'd better clean my doorstep so my house looks good on google!!

RubberDuck Fri 11-Jul-08 09:59:21

I dunno... my geek side is currently at war with my rights to privacy side. I'll let you know who wins and if my head explodes in the meantime!

(As an aside google maps still names my road wrong... wonder if they'd fix that as they went so delivery people could actually FIND us. Now wouldn't that be helpful)

mumblechum Fri 11-Jul-08 10:01:25

Ha! The main part of the front of my house isn't visible from the road so unless they drive right up the driveway they can't take a photo.

cupsoftea Fri 11-Jul-08 10:05:32

Part of me says great the other more cautious but it's just amazing to go round the other cities & places.

RubberDuck Fri 11-Jul-08 10:06:07

Also, their satellite images are REALLY old (older than the microsoft version) as the image was taken before either my neighbour or us had our extensions.

If the images are not real time and are actually fairly old...

Hmm, still dunno really. I can see it being useful, esp. when giving directions to people who don't know where our house is (especially given the fact the ROAD NAME IS WRONG, bah). And I'm not sure I agree with the giving burglars information they wouldn't otherwise have had. Surely a burglar comes and cases the joint anyway and can get more info watching when you come and go from the house?

Still makes me a little uncomfortable though just how much data is available on us all now. I guess we won't really know the full range of misuses until it's live.

RubberDuck Fri 11-Jul-08 10:08:03

Yes - hubby is going to a conference in the US later this year. He was able to see a picture of his hotel and find out that there was a tram stop just outside so he could get to the conference location easily. Was just awesome to see exactly where he was going.

With travel becoming more and more expensive, it's also quite exciting at the thought of being able to do virtual tours of places. Would also be an excellent tool for house hunting.

*Goes round and round in circles*

TwoIfBySea Fri 11-Jul-08 16:21:58

I liked the one with the cat pictured sitting at the window of someone's house. I'm off to trawl and see if I can find it. Now that is detail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now