Talk

Advanced search

Writers who are monsters - should their works be withdrawn by booksellers (WARNING! - Potentially distressing content)

(135 Posts)
Quattrocento Thu 10-Jul-08 22:53:24

The case of Roger Took disturbed me. It's a disturbing case.

Article in the Spectator here
He's a convicted paedophile who happens to have written some well-regarded travel books. Should Amazon and other booksellers continue to stock books by him? What do you think?

Shitemum Thu 10-Jul-08 22:56:09

That is horrendous.
If I were a bookseller I wouldn't stock him.

Candlewax Thu 10-Jul-08 22:59:55

That is sick.

I definitely would not want to buy his books. I would want booksellers to remove his books from the shelves.

Quattrocento Thu 10-Jul-08 23:01:08

I'm surprised that the case has been so little reported. Quite a few writers have colourful backgrounds, quite a few have been to prison. Look at Jeffrey Archer.

Ordinarily in favour of free speech but Roger Took's crime is so sickening that I do think all his books should be withdrawn.

LyraSilvertongue Thu 10-Jul-08 23:01:31

I wouldn't buy a Gary Glitter record.
And I wouldn't buy a paedophile author's books.
I'm not spending good money making some sicko richer.

LyraSilvertongue Thu 10-Jul-08 23:03:46

That article is the worst thing I've read in ages. i only got a few paragraphs in. Now it will haunt me for days.

edam Thu 10-Jul-08 23:04:23

That's sickening. I'm not in favour of censorship but I wouldn't anyone to help him make money by selling his work. So I guess I am actually in favour of bookshops deleting him from their lists.

LyraSilvertongue Thu 10-Jul-08 23:04:34

God, I wish I hadn't read that.

Quattrocento Thu 10-Jul-08 23:16:46

I'm sorry I wish I hadn't read it too.

Horrible man. Can't believe his books are still for sale. Is it worth a letter to Amazon?

nancy75 Thu 10-Jul-08 23:21:26

that is disgusting, the only way his books should still be on sale is if all proceeds were to go to his victims/funding support for victims of a similar crime or that kind of thing.
i certainly would not wish to buy anything that would make this sick bastard a penny richer

waffletrees Fri 11-Jul-08 17:09:39

When I first opened this thread I was ready to completely disagree with you - freedom of speech and all that.

However, after reading this article I feel physically sick. I also can't believe how little a jail term he was given.

lulumama Fri 11-Jul-08 17:14:26

quat that article has made me nauseated

i would think it would be appropriate to have this thread deleted and re post with a warning.

i did not realise that article would be so graphic

i have a young daughter, i now have hideous images in my head

this should have been a warning that this articel was a graphic description of peadophilia from the first line

aGalChangedHerName Fri 11-Jul-08 17:42:14

Jesus that article(the little i actually read) will haunt me. I so did not wan't to read that sad

FluffyMummy123 Fri 11-Jul-08 17:43:07

Message withdrawn

lulumama Fri 11-Jul-08 17:44:27

i have already reported it . it definitely needs a warning

Quattrocento Fri 11-Jul-08 17:51:49

Sorry - yes you are all right. I couldn't get the awfulness of it out of my head so shouldn't have inflicted it on others.

I've asked for the thread to be deleted

kittyvonditty Fri 11-Jul-08 17:54:28

That article is awful.

I feel ill

cocolepew Fri 11-Jul-08 18:00:00

Only managed to read a small part, how can these 'chatrooms' operate? Surely with all the technology available now they can be found and stopped? Or am I incredible naive?

NoPainNoGain Fri 11-Jul-08 18:03:27

The article will make you feel ill.

But this man, undeniably guilty and nevertheless protected by his friends and family in court will quickly become a free man unless his actions do become public knowledge. If nobody hears about what he has done he will be freed more easily when brought up for parole (nobody objects) and may become quickly re-integrated into the art history world that have played a part in protecting him so far. Google this man and you will see his crimes have not been reported at all.. I´m horrified that this is possible, given the sensation the media normally make of this type of case. Clearly high flying men can do as they like with relative impunity.

Quattrocento Fri 11-Jul-08 18:05:35

Yes, that's partly why I posted it NPNG. It's worrying how very little coverage this has had. Do you think it is partly because it is so horrible?

cocolepew Fri 11-Jul-08 18:06:44

It was a very graphic article.

cocolepew Fri 11-Jul-08 18:06:45

It was a very graphic article.

Quattrocento Fri 11-Jul-08 18:07:58

I did try to find another article actually. But there wasn't one. Not in any newspaper.

NoPainNoGain Fri 11-Jul-08 18:09:14

Apparantly there was a one paragraph article in The Times. I didn´t find it though online..

nkf Fri 11-Jul-08 18:09:44

I wish I hadn't read that article. Please, a bit more warning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now