Talk

Advanced search

Daily Mail and the Nazis

(6 Posts)
roseability Thu 10-Jul-08 14:19:25

Okay I really have nothing better to do this afternoon (and my DS is asleep) than stir up some old debates.

Lets take a look at the Daily Mail's Nazi and racist history.

In 1934 Lord Rothermere (then sole owner of the DM) was a member of the British Union of Facists. He was also a friend and supporter of Adolf Hitler and Mussolini. It was the only British newspaper that openly supported the German Nazi Party.

In 2002 editor Paul Darce said 'The old Daily Mail I'd be the first to admit, was slightly racist'.

Let me think, wasn't one of Hitler's main policies to blame Germany's social problems on foreigners, Jews, homosexuals and liberal, free-thinking women? Mmmm, methinks the Daily Mail does blame Britain's problems on immigrants, homosexuals and free thinking women.

Anyone who reads/loves the DM want to come and challenge this view?

Flashman Thu 10-Jul-08 16:26:32

You mean they are not spot on with their view on causes of our problems - and you missed poor working class from the list or Chavs as they are generally known.

frogs Thu 10-Jul-08 16:36:28

Based on a quick check of today's edition:

Immigrants check
Muslims check
Gays check
Feminists/compensation culture check
Political correctness check
Chavs check

Nothing overtly anti-Jewish though, maybe tomorrow.

Challenge the view? Don't think so.

HermanMunster Thu 10-Jul-08 16:43:14

i don't know what the papers position 70 years ago really has to do with it's modern position.
i mean britain were heavily involved in the slave trade and the raping and pillaging of poorer relatively defenceless nations.i don't judge modern britain by their standards.

BTW i don't read the daily mail and any articles i do see from them tend to be them whinging about "pc gone mad".

roseability Thu 10-Jul-08 17:59:05

Frogs that is brilliant! I haven't laughed this much in weeks! Hilarious!

WinkyWinkola Thu 10-Jul-08 20:59:02

Roseability, please post the sources for your info on the DM. I must have them. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now