Talk

Advanced search

"Toddler trapped in metal box at nursery" - sorry, really awful story!

(46 Posts)
Creole Thu 10-Jul-08 13:42:00

"here"

Can't believe this still happens and the nursery wasn't shut down.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fryalot Thu 10-Jul-08 13:45:47

thank god he was all right though!

(well, relatively)

Oliveoil Thu 10-Jul-08 13:46:54

on front page of my local paper

in another local nursery, private not council, all the staff went home and a child was left locked in the building! she was asleep iirc

there was a mix up with collection - I think mum though MIL was collecting or vice versa - so when mum/MIL finished work and went to get child from other house, no child!

they phoned the police, police called nursery, went to nursery, child still asleep where she was left

can you imagine if she had woken up???!!

nursery still open, I drive past it

RubySlippers Thu 10-Jul-08 13:47:39

awful but thank goodness he is ok

the nursery sound very poor - why on earth wasn't something as basic as counting all the children back in from the garden done?

Romy7 Thu 10-Jul-08 13:48:20

bit lurid to say 'metal box' - bad enough it was an enormous ISO container without making it sound like he was wedged in...

easy to see how it happened though - not sure why the thing was open when there were kids there if they just used it for overnight storage. if the nursery had proper in/out procedures then they would have known he hadn't left the building, but a bit of a shocker to realise he'd been in there 2 hours and no-one noticed - particularly as a new boy, when you'd think they'd be making sure he was settled etc...

what is slightly surreal, and altogether off the point, is that now the shipping company that owns the ISO knows where it is and will want it back, so it won't happen again...

Creole Thu 10-Jul-08 13:48:25

And the Gov is encouraging mums to go back to work, this is really frightening

Oliveoil Thu 10-Jul-08 13:49:56

other story here

Creole Thu 10-Jul-08 13:51:07

OMG shock

PinkTulips Thu 10-Jul-08 13:51:28

jesus.

poor little mite, what the hell is the giant container there for anyway, and why is it accessible to the kids?

shocking they don't do regular head counts... takes dd's playschool all of a few minutes to notice if someone is awol.

worse still that it happened so soon after he started nursery, he's going to find it really difficult to go back now when he's older

paddingtonbear1 Thu 10-Jul-08 13:53:03

shock
the most shocking bit is the fact that noone noticed he was gone for 2 hours! Especially as he was new!

MamaG Thu 10-Jul-08 13:54:32

Olive I always thought you lived in Ilkley

Everytime I drive through Ilkley I think "oliveoil" lives here grin - I guess not!

Oliveoil Thu 10-Jul-08 13:56:35

I have no idea where ilkey is!

MamaG Thu 10-Jul-08 13:57:27

Why the hell did I think that?! I wonder who it is, someone on here def does

LyraSilvertongue Thu 10-Jul-08 13:58:13

It's for locking the outdoor toys in, so probably like a small metal shed. he must have wondered in and no-one noticed him.

Romy7 Thu 10-Jul-08 14:04:58

it's an ISO container lyra - more like a large metal house if you're 3. they also make a large amount of noise if you bang them or kick them, which he obviously didn't do if he was terrified.

PinkTulips Thu 10-Jul-08 14:21:27

did you see the pic lyra..... not a small metal shed at all. giant shipping container!

LyraSilvertongue Thu 10-Jul-08 14:28:09

No, didn't look at the pic, just read the story elsewhere ealier.

Toothyboy Thu 10-Jul-08 14:36:31

Aside from the shockingness of the story - Romy7, those freight containers can be hired for storage (Dp's got 2 of them for his business) - so it's probably not stolen!

Also, there' a comment on the first link that says "he's lucky to be alive" - a little overdramatic I think.

But I do feel for the poor boy and his parents. He must have been terrified.

nonanny Thu 10-Jul-08 14:38:11

Parents should withdraw their child and tell ofsted, this is definitely grounds for closure

Creole Thu 10-Jul-08 14:49:15

Thta's what I thought...but then again, it may be difficult finding alternative provision at short notice.

thebecster Thu 10-Jul-08 14:50:46

What a terrifying story. Nursery should definitely be shut, and manager should be investigated for child neglect. Brrr...

Tortington Thu 10-Jul-08 14:51:36

i dont think this is that bad really

noddyholder Thu 10-Jul-08 14:58:48

grin custy

Tortington Thu 10-Jul-08 14:59:56

the kid was lockied in what was effectivley a huge toy box.

big deal over nothing IMO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now