Talk

Advanced search

Never give babies whole grapes (sad)

(14 Posts)
JanH Wed 02-Feb-05 10:36:53

I know incidents like this have been mentioned here before but here's another one for the benefit of anyone who didn't already know about it

Whole grapes can kill a small child - always halve them before you give them.

PuffTheMagicDragon Wed 02-Feb-05 10:39:39

How awful and so traumatic for his family and everyone who tried to save him in the shop .

Clarinet60 Mon 07-Feb-05 15:51:06

A 4 year old also died after choking on a grape in Preston last year.
I always halve ours now.

Lonelymum Mon 07-Feb-05 15:53:07

Gosh the Sun really gives a full account doesn't it? (Sorry, needless sarcasm there).

Marina Mon 07-Feb-05 15:54:16

I have to say that when dd is given a grape at communion at church, I chomp it up (obviously NOT at the altar rail) for her first.
I am similarly suspicious of cherry tomatoes...
This story was tremendously sad

trefusis Mon 07-Feb-05 16:02:02

Message withdrawn

amunette Tue 08-Feb-05 01:17:10

This has been an ongoing battle with me and the inlaws, and some of my family. I knew of the risks with whole grapes, and oddly enough, hot dog sausages, as they are the top choking hazards for tots.

So no whole grapes allowed. Except when I tried to tell family this, they all accused me of over-reacting, and trotted out the "well, you/DH used to eat them whole....." excuses. I ended up getting pretty aggro about it, and told them fine, just humour me as an OTT new mum and chop them up!!

Better that than a choking child. Yet I know that they still did it behind my back, as they really do not appreciate the risks.

JanH Tue 08-Feb-05 09:04:09

There's a whole article about grapes/cherry tomatoes in Telegraph Health , amunette - print it off and hand it round to them. Silly people

JanH Tue 08-Feb-05 09:06:15

(I didn't know about frankfurters before but I suppose they're not eaten much here - I doubt if they'd be top of a UK list.)

piffle Tue 08-Feb-05 09:32:15

So sad isn't it...
my aunt died as an infant on a peanut, so out family has always been aware
am currently wrestling with inlaws over maltesers
I know sweets are common choking hazards too...
My dd won't eat them unpeeled so by the time I have slaughtered the grape to peel it, it resembles pulp...

amunette Tue 08-Feb-05 12:14:51

Forgot to add, went to a birthday party on Sunday, in-laws again!! Well, there was baby, 10mths old, just rolling around on the floor with a WHOLE sausage to munch on. No one watching her at all.

I said to MIL, who gave her that? She said, SIL had. I said it was bloody stupid and irresponsible to do so and walk off, and got a "oh, here we go" look from MIL!!

I think I will print out that article JanH, as I am seriously worried that the baby will end up choking.

Blu Tue 08-Feb-05 13:29:40

DS choked on a grape that was in one of those fruit jelly pots when he was 2.5. I don't think he realised it was in there. The person looking after him at the time was trained in what to do, and he was fine - but he now won't eat jelly, grapes or any wet slippery fruit.
Shows just how impotant the 1st aid training is. I wouldn't have been so competent if he had been with me

lisalisa Tue 08-Feb-05 14:29:51

Message withdrawn

franch Tue 08-Feb-05 15:39:27

I have the same question as lisalisa: when are whole ones safe??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: