Talk

Advanced search

Bill Gates isn't so bad, really...

(16 Posts)
JanH Tue 25-Jan-05 10:17:23

He's giving most of his money away...

Still leaves him with 5% of £25 billion though!

marthamoo Tue 25-Jan-05 10:18:11

Do you think he'll give me some?

JanH Tue 25-Jan-05 10:18:53

Shall we ask him, moo? I'm sure he could spare a couple of millions!

marthamoo Tue 25-Jan-05 10:19:52

Just 1 million would be OK - I'm really not greedy. And we use windows - we helped him make his money.

JanH Tue 25-Jan-05 10:20:32

Oh, I meant one for me too

marthamoo Tue 25-Jan-05 10:20:57

That sounds fair enough to me

triceratops Tue 25-Jan-05 10:29:48

My dh thinks that Bill Gates is satan himself due to some IT thing with the hating microsoft and wanting everyone to use macs. I think the man has his plus points, $750000000 of them.

DH says it is all a publicity stunt or a tax dodge or imperialism but I say anyone saving that many childrens lives is on the side of the angels.

piffle Tue 25-Jan-05 10:38:19

he could buy the pharmaceutical companies and make them down price medicines for 3rd world, that would make him an ok guy to my mind
but as for splashing out its in the right direction but making sure the kids who survive the diseases have something to eat, a school to go to, parents who are't dead or suffering from AIDS, and addressing civil wars, would be better still!

piffle Tue 25-Jan-05 10:41:18

martha of course you use windows, almost every pc sold new has windows ready to install - its not like we have a choice unless we have techy ms hating husbands who install some other complicated unix based thingy...
he aint dumb bill gates that is LOL

weightwatchingwaterwitch Wed 26-Jan-05 09:44:51

HE has always contributed a lot to aids charities hasn't he? IIRC his charitable contributions went up when he had children.

lockets Wed 26-Jan-05 09:50:03

Message withdrawn

lockets Wed 26-Jan-05 09:55:04

Message withdrawn

triceratops Wed 26-Jan-05 13:43:34

if you had that sort of money what charity would you give it to?

JanH Wed 26-Jan-05 15:11:33

Yes but lockets, if it wasn't announced people would go "grumble, mumble, that Bill Gates, tight get, never gives anything away" - I've had this conversation before about Exceedingly Rich People, they are damned if they tell and damned if they don't

eidsvold Wed 26-Jan-05 20:47:54

he also intends to let his children make their own way in the world rather than relying on daddy and his money to survive. Read a very interesting article about him years ago and even then they were talking about the charitable foundations and contributions he had made.

skeptic Wed 26-Jan-05 20:49:41

I thought that it was well-known that he funded many Third World child vaccination programmes. Of course, to many m'netters, that would make him evil incarnate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now