Talk

Advanced search

OMG - I hope this conspiracy threory is a load of rubbish...

(34 Posts)
Socci Mon 24-Jan-05 23:45:53

Message withdrawn

serenity Mon 24-Jan-05 23:48:15

My MIL came back from Cyprus on last Sunday with this theory, it's the big discussion out there apparently.

I might be being naive, but that would surely be far too big a deal to cover up?

soapbox Mon 24-Jan-05 23:49:30

According to the BBC today, the Navy are off to the 'earthquake' site to survey it. Hadn't heard of this theory but that might explain why the Navy are off to have a closer look!

wog Mon 24-Jan-05 23:53:31

well i'm not a dead holy person although I do beleive in god but did the bible not say that it would be man who would destroy the earth?

HunkerMunker Mon 24-Jan-05 23:56:01

Feck. Surely not. Was saying only the other day that at least there was no-one to blame (and no-one who could be 'gone after') for this tragedy.

Socci Tue 25-Jan-05 00:03:45

Message withdrawn

colditzmum Tue 25-Jan-05 00:06:50

Ah! Do you remember that alwayssaythanku thread about vaccination? I have just seen why she didn't post links, only cut n pasted!

Most of her/his information has been gleaned from that conspiricies site!

Socci Tue 25-Jan-05 00:09:22

Message withdrawn

colditzmum Tue 25-Jan-05 00:11:37

Don't worry about that tsunami thing too much, cos on that site they are seriously "discussing" whether Arnold Schwarznegger is Horus/ The AntiChrist!

Honestly!!!!

HunkerMunker Tue 25-Jan-05 00:12:22

I'd often thought that about Arnie - and there's a site saying it?! OMG - it must be true!!! OK, I should go to bed

suedonim Tue 25-Jan-05 14:34:42

Surely no one seriously believes that article? The whole area round Indonesia is well known for tremors and volcanoes and this quake was overdue, apparently.

Socci Tue 25-Jan-05 14:59:38

Message withdrawn

SenoraPostrophe Tue 25-Jan-05 15:02:45

That site is frightening - not because of the "theories" but because of the absolute shite they publish.

One story (which I won't link to) conatins this lovely editorial note "Editor's Note: Like the queers that dominated the Nazi Party during Hitler's regime, gay Republicans are now dominating the so-called Grand Old Party." FFS.

Plus of course there's Diana "murdered" and a story about how Bush is NOT anti-abortion and is in fact a liberal.

Bloddy bollox.

colditzmum Tue 25-Jan-05 15:05:57

That site would worry me if I thought anyone in my family was posting regular articles. Having read some of the more, ahem, extreme (rabid) views, I would be concerned for their mental health!

mamadadawahwah Tue 25-Jan-05 15:38:27

Actually, at the risk of sounding like a co-conspirator, a big part of the conspiracy theory behind the earthquake lies in that the american military establishment "Diego Garcia" which is built on a small island in the wake of the tsunami, was not touched. Further reasons for the conspiracy revolve around american "testing" which has been going on for years in the area. finally, to really shore it up, Indonesia has a greater population of muslims than the middle east and many civil wars. The conspiracy theory alleges that bush and co, deliberately planted a huge underwater nuclear bomb, to obliterate the area and take over this hotbed of extremism. If Bush and co suddenly move in and make a large part of Indonesia an american statelet, then we will see. I dont know what to think but these days anything is possible.

Tinker Tue 25-Jan-05 15:58:54

Trouble with conspiracy theories is that if you rubbish them then that only strengthens the conspiracy for teh believers.

suedonim Tue 25-Jan-05 16:00:08

I thought Diego Garcia got off relatively lightly because it's further away, received a warning and also has a big coral reef round it which lessened the effect of the tsunami. If Bush is trying to take over Indonesia, he chose the wrong bit - it's pretty undeveloped in Aceh and hundreds of miles away from the seat of govt. Earthquakes happen all the time in that neck of the woods, we had plenty when we lived there.

suedonim Tue 25-Jan-05 16:08:45

You're right, Tinker - my lips are sealed.

ocean Thu 27-Jan-05 01:44:21

Well, if you actually check up on these things, many earthquakes do indeed follow from a nuclear test, though not always in the immediate area.

essbee Thu 27-Jan-05 01:57:35

Message withdrawn

ocean Thu 27-Jan-05 01:59:55

Oh God, I am not saying that site is right!! But it is a fact that after a test, some sort of eruption or earthquake is felt somewhere.

happymerryberries Thu 27-Jan-05 06:44:24

This is a load of rubbish. Deigo Gracia got away lightly because of geography.

And fwiw Krakatoa was much larger an explosion than this last disaster, and that predated Bush and the bomb. That didn't stop religious extremists using it as an excuse to rebel and kill the colonials tho!

mamadadawahwah Thu 27-Jan-05 09:10:32

The conspiracy theory around this isnt just about Diego Garcia though. Its about the testing they have done in the area for a long time. I personally dont like the term conspiracy theory because the best conspiracy theory is one which is actually true, something we would never believe. There are plenty of things that have happened which are chalked up as being a conspiracy. 9/11, diana, sinking of lusitania, pearl harbour and of course JFK. More questions than answers in regard to these occurrences.

I personally think that the american government in cahoots with others is capable of doing just about anything. For those who have kids in the U.S., today it is a very scary time for them if they are hitting the 16-18 year old mark. In 2001 the U.S. admin asked all principals of schools to forward the names and dates of birth of all 16 year olds (good friend is a principal). Bush had war on his mind well before he got into office (just like his daddy).

We dont fare much better with Tony. I do not understand why he licks Bush's boots. But i digress. Yes it could happen that the earthquake was man made. Was it man made? None of us will ever know.

mamadadawahwah Thu 27-Jan-05 09:14:40

Anyone who says that nuclear precipitation of an earthquake is rubbish, you might have said that the obliteration of two major japanese cities by splitting an atom pre 1945 was rubbish too. But really, look what happened.

Really dont want to get into politics in mumsnet, as this site isnt about politics per se. But politics does affect our kids and of course us as well. If there are any iraqi mums on this site they know full well the force of politics on their kids. Everything is political, and everything is up for grabs.

Tinker Thu 27-Jan-05 19:11:37

"In 2001 the U.S. admin asked all principals of schools to forward the names and dates of birth of all 16 year olds (good friend is a principal). Bush had war on his mind well before he got into office (just like his daddy)"

Why would he need to ask the schools?????? That info could be pulled from birth records/census info

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now