Talk

Advanced search

Waterstones boycott, anybody?

(10 Posts)
JanH Wed 12-Jan-05 14:38:26

Guardian story with link to blog.

I suspect calling the place Bastardstones was a tactical error but still don't see why they had to sack the poor bugger.

JanH Wed 12-Jan-05 14:39:01

tamum, is that the one I met you in?

tamum Wed 12-Jan-05 14:42:28

Oh, I was just reading this! Yes, as far as I can see from the picture it's the very one- there are 3 here but the other two have different style fronts. There's a blue plaque on it now, natch I think it's really awful- he didn't name anyone, did he? I can't believe they'd get away with this if he took them to a tribunal. If only Amazon hadn't lost my last parcel I would be sticking with them from now on

Marina Wed 12-Jan-05 14:44:34

Given they had no policy in place specifically offering guidance on employee use of the net, I think they were wrong and harsh to sack him. He deserved a ticking-off, the eejit, but they overreacted in my view.
(Decides to postpone work on satirical novel about the lunacies of the higher education sector).

JanH Wed 12-Jan-05 14:47:41

hi, tamum!

There is a link on his blog to a site called Edinburgers (I think) where this is being discussed, they seem to be divided - "Bastardstones" grounds for dismissal, some think.

They haven't gone through proper channels and given him a verbal or written warning first - but for gross misconduct you don't have to, the question is whether what he did was gross misconduct; they'd have a job proving that, wouldn't they? (???)

Any employment lawyers here?

moondog Wed 12-Jan-05 14:47:56

What, a sort of latter day 'Lucky Jim' Marina?
Sure it would be a best seller!

tamum Wed 12-Jan-05 14:52:11

Ooh yes, I'm an employment lawyer. Oh no, sorry, I made that up

Hi Janh

winnie1 Wed 12-Jan-05 15:02:11

I am not surprised. Do you remember the manager of a waterstones store in Manchester, Robert Topping, being sacked for refusing to toe the line on bestsellers?

weightwatchingwaterwitch Wed 12-Jan-05 15:14:01

Seems heavyhanded to me, it was an anonymous blog ffs wasn't it? What's it to do with them? I'll be interested to see what happens.

Marina Wed 12-Jan-05 15:19:47

My sister knew him Winnie, she was working in that branch p/t. I thought the autocratic heavyhandedness left with Tim Waterstone, clearly not.
Moondog, I wish! That novel is a classic. I think mine might be an unseemly mix of Jackie Collins and Franz Kafka...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: