Talk

Advanced search

The woman who ran out into the tsunami survived...

(34 Posts)
JanH Sun 02-Jan-05 13:07:29

and so did her kids - NOTW (some nice news from them for once).

Zephyrcat Sun 02-Jan-05 13:09:00

Really bizarre isn't it? I heard that this morning on one of the Sunday church tv programmes calling it a miracle

hunkermunker Sun 02-Jan-05 13:13:51

I'd seen this on the news, but not heard the end of it - just seen the pictures of her running towards the waves. Nice to know there have been some good things happen in this horrific tragedy (those words aren't enough to describe it...).

Gobbledigook Sun 02-Jan-05 13:15:02

OMG - that is amazing! I saw the pictures the other day and thought there was no way they could have been OK.

From what I've read, it does seem that in some ways, those closer to the coast stood a better chance because those behind the first row of buildings were being hit not only by water, but also by concrete, cars etc.

Yorkiegirl Sun 02-Jan-05 13:42:49

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Sun 02-Jan-05 13:50:09

OMG I cried when I saw those pictures and I just cried again .. so glad and amazed the whole family made it

Also did you see the story on the side about the man pulled alive from the wreckage 6 days afterwards?

GeorginaA Sun 02-Jan-05 14:16:32

Apparently from what I read there was actually more chance of surviving close to the beach than further away from the shore. (Close up you "only" had to contend with the power of the waves and the suction back again - further away you have cars/buildings/other debris being flung at you as well - the injurys from those far more likely to be fatal).

GeorginaA Sun 02-Jan-05 14:17:04

Oh bollocks, just seen that gobbledigook already wrote that... sorry brain not engaged today ;)

pixiefish Sun 02-Jan-05 16:13:11

And that poor mother who had two of her kids in her arms and had to choose one to let go of- luckily both survived. I can't get that out of my head

hunkermunker Sun 02-Jan-05 16:16:58

PF, thanks for posting that too - I'd heard that she'd let go of one, but not what happened.

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 17:48:02

I have just seen the headlines from a couple of Tabloidds and saw that she and the family survived. Great

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 17:49:25

I saw that two Pixiefish. She let go of the eldest, aged about 4 years. She shouted to a woman closeby to grab him if she could. He was found later holding onto some railings. So lucky.

codswallop Sun 02-Jan-05 17:50:24

freind of Mr cod rode the wave and then climbed a tree
his gf was in a boat and only one person ell out and died.

pixiefish Sun 02-Jan-05 18:38:18

That poor mother- its haunting me as I'm sure it'll haunt her and the kids. When she was being interviewed the eldest was hysterical- the mother had asked someone else to hold on to him and she'd managed it for a while before she too had to let go. Luckily both kids survived.
The stories are horrific and haunting as will the aftermath be for the survivors. I am so very very sad about it all.

Twiglett Sun 02-Jan-05 18:40:33

I must admit to wondering how that little boy will cope with knowing that his mother chose to let him go, and how the mother will cope with the guilt

.. His mother of course did the ONLY thing possible and in the same situation I think anyone would imagine the older child would have more chance than a 2 year old .. but how on earth will they cope with that kind of experience?

pixiefish Sun 02-Jan-05 18:42:21

Yep Twiglett- she let go of the eldest because she reckoned that he had a better chance of survival as he was stronger than the younger child. How on earth do you make that decision though. I hope those boys forget this experience

juniperdewdrop Sun 02-Jan-05 18:45:12

Just read yesterday that one of dh's colleagues (solicitor) and his wife were caught up in it. They had to hold onto trees.

JanH Sun 02-Jan-05 18:47:08

This is the story of the mother who let the older boy go. Apparently he is petrified of water and can't swim but managed to doggy paddle! I do hope he gets over the horror before too long, poor lamb. Hope the mother doesn't beat herself up about it for the rest of her life too - it was the right decision..

codswallop Sun 02-Jan-05 18:47:10

am worried a s I cnat climb trees.

marzipan Sun 02-Jan-05 18:49:49

Amazing that even though this is a "virtual" group - everyone has read and seen the same stories. We live close to a sea side town and I took a drive down there yesterday - the sea was rough and it gave the shivers even thinking how unpredictable the sea is. I am terrified of it. Many years ago my husband rescued two people in Crete - they were literally yards out. He almost lost his own life in the process. I just stood there terrified. The enormity of the South East Asia disaster is incomprehensible.

codswallop Sun 02-Jan-05 18:50:36

oh ho m
we are not virtual!

marzipan Sun 02-Jan-05 18:51:55

Maybe chose the wrong word - you know what I mean - I haven't a clue what anybody looks like IYKWIM

codswallop Sun 02-Jan-05 18:52:32

lol
are you flat adn yellow?

juniperdewdrop Sun 02-Jan-05 19:07:05

dont think they climbed the trees they were swept into them? I think I read his wife was on a roof? I'll try to find the article and post it, they survived thank goodness.

jofeb04 Sun 02-Jan-05 19:17:14

Oh junip,
I hope both of them were ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now