Talk

Advanced search

If you want to make a donation to OXFAM's emergency fund for SE Asia

(13 Posts)
OldieMum Thu 30-Dec-04 12:00:08

Here is the link: OXFAM

winterwarmmummer Thu 30-Dec-04 12:06:30

THanks - does anyone know what the Disasters Emergency Committee is? I want to make a donation, but want to make sure that it makes as big a difference as possible. Red CRoss, Oxfam or Save the Children????

Twiglett Thu 30-Dec-04 12:09:55

Disasters Emergency Committee is an umbrella organisation for a dozen UK charities so it goes to all of them

Twiglett Thu 30-Dec-04 12:14:42

OK here goes it includes
Worldvision, Tearfund, Save the Children, Oxfam, Merlin, Help The Aged, Age Concern, Christian Aid, Care, Cafod, British Red Cross and ActionAId

Disasters Emergency Committee

or phone 0870 60 60 900

winterwarmmummer Thu 30-Dec-04 12:43:42

Thanks will donate to DEC.

sparklynorthernstar Thu 30-Dec-04 12:49:25

Will make a donation too, but also want to donate clothes, toiletries etc. Anyone know how I can do this?

misdee Thu 30-Dec-04 12:50:09

think oxfam shops may be collecting.

jampots Thu 30-Dec-04 12:55:22

i will definitely be sorting out all of our possessions over the next few days and taking them to Oxfam shops.

misdee Thu 30-Dec-04 12:59:06

thats what i'm doing. if dd1 is havign a nap, then i'm about to go through their toys to donate, and will do the clothes later.

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 30-Dec-04 14:52:23

bump

alibubbles Thu 30-Dec-04 15:54:44

I was going to sort out a whole load of linen and towels etc, but Oxfam are asking you to give money NOT to donate items, as it costs too much money to send stuff out, they can source it more cheaply locally.

From the Oxfam website -

latest press releases press release archive

Oxfam Press Release - 30 December 2004

Asia earthquake - please give
money not goods

Oxfam today made an appeal to generous Britons to donate money not goods to the Asia earthquake appeal. Literally hundreds of people have been daily flooding their switchboard with offers of everything from clothes, bedlinen and household goods to food and toys for the people in Asia who have lost everything.

Sadly the offers have to be turned down;

The cost of collecting and transporting the goods would amount to more than the cost of buying them from local suppliers in Asia.

We are focussing on flying in essential technical equipment to set up water supplies.

Sourcing goods in the region will help the local economy and contribute to putting communities back on their feet

Food is difficult and expensive to transport and often unpalatable for local tastes whereas local food is cheaper and easier to transport

Chris Coe, Oxfam’s Director of Trading, said:

“ It’s fantastic that people are being so generous and I urge them to take any good quality donations to their local Oxfam shop where we can turn them into cash which will be put to the best possible use to help the people who need it most. If you can donate time, our shops urgently need volunteers to help.”

OldieMum Thu 30-Dec-04 19:39:16

bump

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 30-Dec-04 20:50:59

Am adding the Red Cross donation website - they are all busy and its good to have as many ways to donate as poss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now