Talk

Advanced search

EYFS, dubbed the "nappy curriculum", is the first legislation to give the State a say in the raising of children under five.

(11 Posts)
mrz Sat 05-Jan-08 14:22:29

EYFS, which comes into force in September next year, has already been harshly criticised by teachers, parents and politicians.

At the time of its launch Margaret Morrissey, from the National Confederation of Parent Teacher Associations, said: "I think it's really sad that we have reached the point now where instead of reducing children's stress we have increased it.

"Will nurseries be worrying more about children reaching these targets than caring for our children?"

EYFS applies to around 25,000 nurseries across both private and state sectors, plus all childminders.

bossybritches Sun 06-Jan-08 08:00:52

"Will nurseries be worrying more about children reaching these targets than caring for our children?"

No because this is just the same old guff dressed up in new words that we have been forced to do for years.

If you have a caring nursery with good existing standards it shouldn't make a difference. An adequate but poorly managed nursery will get bogged down in paperwork.

hennipenni Sun 06-Jan-08 22:52:49

Comes into force this sept not next. BB is right we are doing all this anyway, it's just being dressed up and fancified. (am a CM btw)

jellybeans Sun 06-Jan-08 23:38:31

It's only a matter of time until SAHP's are also under scrutiny but labour would prefer it if there were none of us left and we all worked for a pittance.

eleusis Mon 07-Jan-08 09:20:57

Lucky for me I have a nanny (which seems to be the only remaining form of childcare not governed by the medling nanny state). Call me silly, but I think I am better qualified to decide what is best for my two year old. And it doesn't involve any targets.

BandofMothers Mon 07-Jan-08 09:28:34

I think most parents are the best people to decide what is best for their own children, but this has been made broader to incorporate everyone so they don't have to single anyone out. By that I mean the whole projected thing of curriculum for all children even those of SAHP's.

I hate the thought of someone being able to check what I am teaching my children, and I really don't think they need to be taught anything more than most are already, ie colours, shapes, no's, letters, the basics, if you like, before school age anyway. Let them have at least some childhood without teaching structure fgs. TBH tho I dont think any gov would be able to afford to staff something like this, anyway, which is prob why it hasn't happened yet

eleusis Mon 07-Jan-08 10:06:03

"I think most parents are the best people to decide what is best for their own children"

Absolutely!

jellybeans Mon 07-Jan-08 14:47:03

I agree with the above too. Sadly though this governemtn seem very scary and controling in that area.

mrz Mon 07-Jan-08 17:42:23

If you are concerned by this please take a look at openeyecampaign.wordpress.com/about/

mrz Mon 01-Sep-08 11:45:19

EYFS becomes law today opinion

bobthebuddha Mon 01-Sep-08 13:11:31

Still time to petition & protest, for all the good it'll do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now