Talk

Advanced search

couple suing obstetrician for implanting two embryos instead of the requested one

(56 Posts)
ILovePudding Thu 20-Sep-07 01:59:48

This story makes me so angry.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/NATIONAL/Twins-mum-lost-capacity-to-love/2007/09/19/118988158 7967.html

The doctor's being sued because the couple had twins but only wanted one and the mother says she lost her capacity to love!

Shouldn't they just feel blessed that the technology was available to enable them to become parents?

Maybe they just see having a child like any other commodity and are miffed because they can't return the unwanted item hmm sad.

ILovePudding Thu 20-Sep-07 02:35:51

Sorry I didn't do the link properly. I'm new and it shows!!

here

CaptainCaveman Thu 20-Sep-07 03:02:15

Amazing. Fancy that, their relationship changes after getting pg and giving birth - especially to twins wink

And the lady in the article is right, devastated is a big word, a whole TEN letters!

TheBlonde Thu 20-Sep-07 07:56:55

I think it is fair enough
They only wanted one embryo and the doc was at fault

mindalina Thu 20-Sep-07 08:20:35

I don't think that's fair at all, I thought one of the biggest consequences of IVF was the possibility of multiple births? The couple should have done their homework, and the article says the doctor's "duty of care to the birth mother did not extend to preventing multiple births." If it was that big a deal for them they should have made much of it in the first place.

I am also quite surprised that anyone who underwent fertility treatment to conceive would then try to abort an embryo as this couple did, according to the article. I wouldn't fancy explaining this little tale to their children when they are older.

mindalina Thu 20-Sep-07 08:20:52

Biggest? Should maybe have been, "most likely consequences"

tribpot Thu 20-Sep-07 08:22:54

"She said the pair lost their lives functioning as a couple, becoming mired in everyday tasks associated with raising two children."

Can we all sue?!

nappyaddict Thu 20-Sep-07 08:23:31

so what would they have done if they conceived twins naturally? told the midwife to send one back?

TheApprentice Thu 20-Sep-07 08:29:37

This does my head in too, Pudding. My ds was conceived using IVF, and although in some ways I was relieved to just be having the one, I considered myself very lucky to be pregnant at all. Does she realise that there's only a one in five chance of the treatment working? What about all of those people who desperately want children, and can't have them? She sounds like an ungrateful cow!

Also, even with one embryo transfer she could have ended up with twins, if said embryo had split it two.

tigerschick Thu 20-Sep-07 08:29:37

shock and angry
I can't believe that this has even made it to court!
I thought it was common practice to implant more than one embryo as there is no guarantee that they will stick.

fryalot Thu 20-Sep-07 08:33:01

people will sue others at the drop of a hat nowadays.

Tis a sad, sad reflection of the world in which we live.

<<<squonk stops philosophising at half eight in the morning and goes for another cup of tea>>>

Pruners Thu 20-Sep-07 08:33:32

Message withdrawn

belgo Thu 20-Sep-07 08:34:04

they just want the money.

vary sad for the children though if they ever realise how unwanted they are.

Pruners Thu 20-Sep-07 08:36:29

Message withdrawn

belgo Thu 20-Sep-07 08:37:19

400 000 dollars would acknowledge that very nicely.

Pruners Thu 20-Sep-07 08:40:05

Message withdrawn

belgo Thu 20-Sep-07 08:40:37

I do agree though that a doctor should never go against the express wishes of a patient, but that has yet to be proven in this case.

If that is the case, then I hazard a guess that the clinic implanted two embryos instead of one as a way of trying to improve their statistics.

belgo Thu 20-Sep-07 08:42:34

and if that is a case, then it is a very serious infringement of a patient's autonomy. There are serious health risks to the mother of twins and of course to the twins themselves assocatied with a twin pregnancy.

Still think they just want the money though grin

sandcastles Thu 20-Sep-07 08:45:36

Seems like the mother made her feelings for 1 embryo, a little too late, if this is to be believed.

Here

TheApprentice Thu 20-Sep-07 08:52:11

Fair point, Pruners. If this woman's wishes were ignored then of course the doctors should be held responsible.

I just feel that shes bloody lucky to have any children at all, and I hate this culture of suing all the time. AS for losing her capacity to love, what a load of rubbish!

mindalina Thu 20-Sep-07 09:00:03

From the article:

"Ms Burke said the women signed a form prior to the procedure indicating up to two embryos could be transferred.

The woman did not tell Dr Armellin she only wanted one embryo implanted until she was in the operating theatre."

Not reasonable to then sue, IMHO.

belgo Thu 20-Sep-07 09:06:35

it's question of informed consent. Did she know what she was signing when she signed it? It's actually the doctor's responsibility to make sure there is informed consent.

And even if she did consent, she is entitled to change her mind, in which case it would still be the doctor's responsibility to follow her wishes.

Legally, she may have a case, but morally, I think she is on very shakey ground to sue for such a huge amount of money.

ILovePudding Thu 20-Sep-07 09:09:03

I'm genuinely interested to hear your perspective of the situation Pruners. I haven't been through IVF, so am not knowledgable about it all.

I just think if I was desperate enough to have a baby that I would go through IVF, I would rather end up with two babies than no babies.

Pruners Thu 20-Sep-07 09:18:34

Message withdrawn

Pruners Thu 20-Sep-07 09:20:42

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now