Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So explain to me how you & I benefit from the rise in immigration

(374 Posts)
contentiouscat Wed 19-Sep-07 11:19:10

Please explain to me who except the already rich employers (and translators) are benefitting - im not trying to be contentious I would just like to understand.

They are cheap labour therefore why should a british employer pay a decent wage i.e enough for you and I to pay our mortgage when they can get an immigrant willing to live 20 to a house in substandard conditions. So wages will go down.

They dont pay much tax because they are on minimum wage plus are sending a lot of their wages out of the country.

They are entitled to healthcare and as this report says are costing the police money.
news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=6167846

I also read yesterday that european immigrants are entitled to tax credits for their children who still live abroad (wtf), hospitals, police, school have to employ translators - of course this is all coming out of the piggy bank you and I have paid into for years and will continue to.

I just dont get it - SORRY!

2shoes Wed 19-Sep-07 12:28:33

you and me both

Wolfgirl Wed 19-Sep-07 12:31:36

Im with you too, no solutions, but if you speak to my DH - you should bring 6 pack of beers round and set up camp. he would rant till the early hours! grin

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 19-Sep-07 12:32:42

Well......where shall I start???

My grandad was treated in hospital last week, almost involved in his care were foreign. He was initially given just hours or days to live (his kidneys had stopped working) - now they're looking at when they can send him home again!!!

My local corner shop is run by foreigners (and it's cheap too grin).

Them sending a lot of their wages out the country means that FEWER immigrants are coming here. Think about it - (just for a second) - if someone is sending money back "home" (most of the people emigrating from the UK each year are actually migrant workers returning home...._) to support their family - not only are they paying taxes and NI here - but allowing their family members to stay in the "home" country - so therefore lessening the burden on the UK. If they didn't send the money chances are a lot of them would also be applying for work permits and coming here too!

Hospitals, Police and Schools are often helped to keep going by foreigners!

skidaddle Wed 19-Sep-07 12:35:15

plus - isn't britain a more interesting place with people from so many different countries coming to live here? Don;t you think that's a good thing?

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 19-Sep-07 12:36:13

oh and a there a LOT of foreign workers who are NOT on a minimum wage but earn substantially more (my SIL's DH springs to mind - a Pharmacy Manager). also with both SIL and her DH being highly skilled/trained in Pharmacy stuff they tend to know exactly which "over the counter" medicines they can use for various ailments - meaning they avoid many unnessary trips to the GP's.

lulumama Wed 19-Sep-07 12:37:17

what QoQ said, basically.

there are plenty of people, born and bred in this country who leach off the state... just easier to blame it on immigrants

I am the 3rd generation of my family to be born here, plenty of white people aren;t WASPS either.

Wolfgirl Wed 19-Sep-07 12:38:17

ah, diff side of the coin (can see both - ish). but whats the stats of those really sending money home? Im interested and taking an unbiased view on things till I really see it affecting our economy/services in any real drastic way. But I do think we are letting far too many in at the moment - arent we?? <<tilts head and thinks>> Would like to learn more.

lulumama Wed 19-Sep-07 12:38:33

also, plenty of people emigrating from here, so i think it will balance out.

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 19-Sep-07 12:40:22

"but whats the stats of those really sending money home?"

Don't know if there are stats - but I should imagine the number is pretty high - ask virtually any Zimbabwean you meet in the UK who still has family out there and you're almost 100% guaranteed that they're sending money back home. The Poles living in the house opposite us send money back to their wives/family in Poland too.

kama Wed 19-Sep-07 12:40:23

Message withdrawn

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 19-Sep-07 12:42:09

I suppose you could say that my DH has cost the police money - when we had to call them out due to having a Swastika (sp) painted on the front of his car and when we had to call them out for other acts of vandalism on our property........lets just say that the perpetrators were not foreign hmm

Heathcliffscathy Wed 19-Sep-07 12:42:26

the NHS would literally grind immediately to a halt without them. immigrant labour keeps our public services operational. quite a big benefit wouldn't you say?

kama Wed 19-Sep-07 12:44:01

Message withdrawn

kama Wed 19-Sep-07 12:44:24

Message withdrawn

Heathcliffscathy Wed 19-Sep-07 12:44:25

there are two different things being discussed here too: Immigrants from the eastern european states recently allowed into the European Union are here because they are entitled to be here under that treaty, just as we are allowed to go and buy property, work, use public health services in their countries....and do! have you not heard of the hoards of people that flock to Spain for treatments such as IVF (fewer waiting lists) and Poland for dentistry (far superior to ours and much cheaper.

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 19-Sep-07 12:44:42

I probably wouldn't be able to get a taxi home when I do my big weekly shop - or on the (very rare admittedly) times I go out at night get a taxi back either - the majority of the taxi drivers round here are immigrants (though admittedly it's hard to know who is an immigrant and who is actually British!!!).

witchandchips Wed 19-Sep-07 12:45:38

just a bit of economics here. Increased immigration can mean lower wages but will also mean lower prices as costs of firms are now lower. What matters in terms of your welfare is not the amount of pounds you have in the bank but what you can buy with them. The fact that it is now cheaper to get your house fixed, have child care, get a cup of take away coffee has to be weighed against the fact that your wages may have increased less than they otherwise would.

francagoestohollywood Wed 19-Sep-07 12:46:08

I don't have statistics at the moment wolfgirl, but historically immigrants have always sent money back home, it's called "immigrant remittances" and have in the past contributed to boost the economy of the immigrants country of origin (happened in Italy - for instance - in the late XIX century). Therefore if the country of origin's economy grow there'll be less migration from it in time.

Mercy Wed 19-Sep-07 12:46:19

Not all immigrants are from 'poor Third World' countries with little or no English.

My dh is an immigrant - from New Zealand.

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 19-Sep-07 12:47:36

Kama - DH wouldn't tell anyone but us that he sends money back - the only people that know are his other family in the UK and people that I have told. Thing is sometimes it's "only" £5-10 that he sends (big business for some people in the UK sending money there grin) - so I guess for some they wouldn't even consider it as "sending money home" - but it goes a long way.

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 19-Sep-07 12:48:45

anyhow DS2 is currently pacing round in a tiny circle wanting me to go and make his lunch.....which he usually eats at 12 blush - so I'd better go.

kama Wed 19-Sep-07 12:49:27

Message withdrawn

tiredemma Wed 19-Sep-07 12:49:47

Most of the staff that I work my night shift with are from various AFrican Countries- they all send a fair chunk of their wages home.

The actual Registered Nurse that I work with on a friday night has a full time job in the week at the sexual health clinic and works two night shifts (fri and sat)- all of her wages from her second job she sends home to her family in Zimbabwe.

scattyspice Wed 19-Sep-07 12:53:25

They do all the jobs noone else will do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now