Talk

Advanced search

Postal Strike

(14 Posts)
LowFat Wed 12-Sep-07 16:16:03

For all those of you who opposed the postmans strike.....

My DH has just been told in 2 weeks his hours will change and he'll be working 1.15 hours later! No written notice period, no thought to the knock n affects of my job, no thought to our childcare issues.

angry

A manager said to him - 'you chose to have kids you sort it out' despite the fact he has been a postie for 18 years and we have built our routines around his hours!

angry

In a word we are up a certain creek without a paddle, and I will be working till 7.45pm at night with DH having to collect me and bring our children with him.

angry

MrsPuddleduck Wed 12-Sep-07 16:25:53

Sorry to hear that. I didn't oppose the strike - even though it was v inconvenient.

Personally I would have thought it was better to work earlier rather than later if you are a postman hmm

LowFat Wed 12-Sep-07 16:32:10

We both feel utterly trapped in our situation. He has been told if he wants to finihs earlier to go part time angry and the only way I get to finish earlier is to reduce my hours.

Royal mail already get to cut 'unsociable hours pay' because of this change so we're already worse off before even considering these other options.

The reason for the change in hours...an EU directive which only allows lorries to drive at 56 miles an hour will mean post reaching the sorting office later so postmen not needed till later. What a lot of round sphericles!

angry angry angry

MrsPuddleduck Wed 12-Sep-07 16:35:37

Bloody Europeans! The vans will be 'too red' or something next!

Why can they only drive 56mph? Isn't the limit 60mph in this country or have I missed something?

Does this mean that we can all expect our post to be delivered later as well?

LowFat Wed 12-Sep-07 16:42:22

Yep no win for the posties or the customer just the managers angry

If they would properly the drivers would happily leave earlier to make the drop off at the sorting offices the same time as now.

southeastastra Wed 12-Sep-07 17:39:54

sorry to hear that lowfat. this is one of the reasons for the strike. they didn't take any consideration of people's arrangements re childcare etc. they couldn't care less. my dp's dept have got out of it somehow.

though if it went ahead it means he'll be home at 11 at night instead of 9.30 for no more pay. it sucks

LowFat Wed 12-Sep-07 17:42:01

I've written a letter to my local MP - not that he can do much, but anything is worth a try!

southeastastra Wed 12-Sep-07 17:46:30

i'll talk to my dp later to see what's happening in his office. he has to wait around for the vans before he can start too. wonder what's going on now.

LowFat Wed 12-Sep-07 18:10:27

Thanks SEA, I'll keep an eye out for your reply.
I know that a lot of places already have the new hours but for DH office it's just come out of the blue.

LowFat Thu 13-Sep-07 12:41:09

Apparently, according to our postie they all got a letter today saying your hours will be chaing on xx Oct. But did not actually give the what they would be chaing too hmm

May have some light at the end of the tunnel with my reducing my hours by 30 minutes a day but making them up on DH's rota week off......watch this space after a chat to my boss. Only think I can think of to see me getting home at a mor reasonable time and not affecting our finances.

Bl**dy Royal Mail!! angry

southeatsastras Thu 13-Sep-07 13:22:31

indeed lowfat

spoke to dp, yes same at his work. people outside having a go etc.

one thing he mentioned is that there will be loads of women walking home alone at 11 at night, most of the main offices are in cut off places. it's only a matter of time before something happens, pub closing times clash with the end of work.

it really does suck

LowFat Mon 17-Sep-07 13:45:58

Dh comes home today to tell me that while the union have been trying to settle the waters over the new hours.....Royal Mail have been creating anew booklet of things they want to introduce, and one is called 'balanced hours' or flxible working, this is the staff being flexible to the Management by the way and working less hours on days when post if light and more when it is heavy, and they will have a days notice about this.....how the hell are we supposed to live not knowing what hours DH will be working from one day to next? shock sad

What can I do to get help and alert someone to the unfairness that is now taking place. Surely this cant be something they can just bring in?

I was thinking of writing to my local MP!

LowFat Mon 17-Sep-07 13:46:25

Dh comes home today to tell me that while the union have been trying to settle the waters over the new hours.....Royal Mail have been creating anew booklet of things they want to introduce, and one is called 'balanced hours' or flxible working, this is the staff being flexible to the Management by the way and working less hours on days when post if light and more when it is heavy, and they will have a days notice about this.....how the hell are we supposed to live not knowing what hours DH will be working from one day to next? shock sad

What can I do to get help and alert someone to the unfairness that is now taking place. Surely this cant be something they can just bring in?

I was thinking of writing to my local MP!

southeatsastras Mon 17-Sep-07 18:29:10

it's crazy, dp reckons this will signal the start of week long strikes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now