Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Four Youths die in one week while engaged in sport...

(78 Posts)
KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 10:21:52

Sudden Death

I don't know why this isn't bigger news. Even here in Ireland it doesn't seem to have been a big news item (though I could be wrong as I don't watch news every night) There was a blurb in one of the Sunday papers.

But what is going on here? I find this really concerning...

KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 10:29:53

Anyone find this even vaguely concerning?

maryz Wed 12-Sep-07 10:35:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 10:38:07

The bit I read in the paper said that a couple of the clubs actually had defribulators there and they were used but they couldn't revive the kids.

It's a bit concerning as ds1 plays football (among other sports).

I gather it can be from undiagnosed or undetected heart conditions.

Also the weather was exremely warm that week!

macwoozy Wed 12-Sep-07 10:39:41

It's tragicsad

Often there are no symptoms leading to sudden death when its associated with heart arrythmias. A quick and simple test can easily detect such a condition. I just do not understand why these simple tests are not automatically available for all children to help prevent sudden death.

KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 10:40:53

What specifically are arrythmias?

expatinscotland Wed 12-Sep-07 10:43:07

It's happens here regularly enough.

Always has, though. I remember seeing about it in the US as well, where it's known as Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, although it usually strikes young men.

Thing is, it's hard to diagnose, unfortunately.

KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 10:45:16

I wonder what is it about sport that makes it happen? Is it the exertion? Heat? Dehydration? Combination of factors?

expatinscotland Wed 12-Sep-07 10:46:57

It's not entirely known, such as in Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 10:48:48

DS1 has a murmur (innocent)

I wonder would this predisposition him towards this?

macwoozy Wed 12-Sep-07 10:57:25

Arrythmias are abnormal rates or rythmns of the heart, sometimes the rate can go incredibly fast, like 200bpm, so that the heart just can't function. An ECG or ECHO can detect such conditions associated with arrythmias.

Many children have innocent heart murmurs that cause no problems, it isn't necessarily an indicator of a heart condition.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 12-Sep-07 11:00:46

heart murmurs arent an issue with this. as some say its to do with undiagnosed heart coditions like cardiomyopathys, arrythmias, long QT syndrome (think i have that right).

dd1 has a leaky valve, plus a murmur. the murmur isnt an issue, but i do worry more about the valve. but try not to as its so slight that she doesnt need to be seen agai ntill she is 10 (she is 7.5 now)

kerrymum, i mean this is the nicest possible way, but do you think you get overly concerened with things like this? i have noticed you do worry an awful lot.

Bouncingturtle Wed 12-Sep-07 11:02:04

Yes, deeply tragic. Invariably a previously undiagnosed heart complaint will be found to blame. The son of my boss's friend, didn't wake up one morning. He was 35, fit as a fiddle, had 3 young kids. His wife couldn't wake him - he died in his sleep, due to his heart stopping sad. I also had a friend die earlier this year similar kind of circumstances, she was only 25 sad. Her two brothers have had loads of test to see if they have the same heart condition as their sister as the docs believe it to be genetic but they were given the all clear.
I don't think there is a lot of knowledge about why these deaths happen and how they can be prevented, much more research is needed. Doctors these days are still nto 100% certain they can say what causes cot deaths and how to prevent them they can only give advice which has ben shown to reduce the risk.

KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 11:05:31

LVoC - Yes, I know but my kids DO actually have a lot of health problems. So I am generally more, I don't know, "aware" of things. I have to be.

From the bits I've been reading heart murmurs can, in fact be a risk factor for this sort of thing. It may indicate a more serious problem.

Have a call into Ped to ask what tests were run on DS1 (when he detected murmur it was strong enough that he admitted him for tests).

hermykne Wed 12-Sep-07 11:06:00

kerrymum i heard being discussed on marion finucane on sunday nad pat kenny with cardiologists last week also the irish times had a piece on it and the research required plus UTV news had a piece as the four main hospitals north and south are collaborating on research too.

maryz Wed 12-Sep-07 11:09:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 12-Sep-07 11:09:51

kerrymum so DO my girls.

hert murmurs

LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 12-Sep-07 11:10:51

maryz, if a child is dx with a heart condition then medication in most cases wil allow them to have a normal life including sports.

KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 11:13:34

LVoC, well I guess we're just different then. I worry about my kids health. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 11:14:43

I was just saying that I'm not worrying about imaginary or unconfirmed things.

macwoozy Wed 12-Sep-07 11:16:26

I would certainly want to know. The children that have been identified are considered to be the lucky ones, as treatment can usually prevent sudden death.

Mummy2TandF Wed 12-Sep-07 11:20:49

Sadly I have discovered that SADS is much more common than I ever knew sad My dh died on 28th August, perfectly fit and healthy, happy with his life and then nothingsad He wasn't even over exhurting himself, just gone fishing for the evening - There needs to be more reasearch done and maybe a routine ECG at a certian age? Something! There has to be something! Our lives have been turned upside down and for what? ASomething that may have been detected had dh been offered a routine ECG? I am not sire if this would have picked anything up but surely it has to be worth a go?

KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 11:21:38

Now that I'm thinking of this I remember last week at a match he was complaining of chest pain and I just put it down to his asthma and him running around like a lunatic (he really was exerting himself a lot)

I told him to take it a bit slower but that he'd be okay. And he was but call me paranoid, I am a bit worried now.

Dr. is calling up his chart to see what tests were done, etc. and hopefully will get back to me tomorrow.

KerryMum Wed 12-Sep-07 11:22:32

I know Mummy. I was thinking of you when I read this in the paper.

sad

RosaLuxembourg Wed 12-Sep-07 11:24:44

My DH was born with a congenital heart defect for which he had to have major surgery at age 7. He still has an annual check-up and will probably have to have his aortic valve replaced at some point in the future.
The whole issue of how to handle a child even with a known heart condition is very difficult - over the years different doctors told him different things about how much exercise he was allowed through - he went through a period where he was wrapped in cotton wool and not even allowed to play cricket and another period where his prep school (he was sent away to boarding school age 8!) insisted he join in with the cross country runs.
The most recent advice he has had is that all activity is fine except for extreme competitive sport, but on the other hand there is a small chance he could drop dead at any point for no particular reason.
Not quite sure what the point of this is, except to say that DH feels that trying to live as normal a life as possible and not second-guess what activities might cause him to drop dead is the best way to deal with his condition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now