Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So if you're a woman and you nick £100k and repay it you're sentenced to 15months inside but if you're a man and you beat up your wife you get a paltry fine...

(13 Posts)
SueW Thu 06-Sep-07 21:25:19

Where's the justice?

I daren't even look at what people get sentenced to for hurting animals.....

\link{http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/6982457.stm\Doctor's manager stole £100k)

SueW Thu 06-Sep-07 21:25:54

Doctor's manager stole £100k

whiskeyandbeer Thu 06-Sep-07 21:49:24

"Where's the justice?"

where's the connection or relevance?
the woman stole one hundred grand of course she should do time.
do you think she was sentenced purely because she was a woman?
not saying the guy who beats his wife shouldn't he most certainly should.
but what should the judge in this case have said? oh you stole 100k, but since some guy in a comletely unrelated matter didn't do time neither should you.
surely the thread title should read
"woman steals 100k and only recieves 15 months shock "

Callisto Fri 07-Sep-07 08:42:58

I can't see the comparison either but I think that 15 months is a long sentence if you think how lightly child abusers, rapists and murderers are sentenced.

SueW Fri 07-Sep-07 21:03:20

There's not really a direct comparison, tbh. I was just quite shocked at her sentence, especially since she has repaid the money she stole when other people seem to be getting shorter sentences for violent crime.

I suppose to me a crime which involves domestic violence e.g. the doctor and the management consultant recently highlighted on here or rape or child abuse create a diff kind of damage to stealing money (which can be repaid). Which isn't to say that having money stolen doesn't result in someone losing trust in others which impacts on future personal or working relationships.

But don't worry about it cos:

- I'm not involved in the legal profession and

- I never intend to be (involved in the legal profession)

FluffyMummy123 Fri 07-Sep-07 21:03:57

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Fri 07-Sep-07 21:04:49

Message withdrawn

LaDiDaDi Fri 07-Sep-07 21:12:05

Personally I'm unconvinced that a custodial sentence is appropriate for fraud, especially when the money has been repaid and the nation's prison are apparently full to bursting.

fishie Fri 07-Sep-07 21:22:52

cod are there lists available to the public on what sentence one gets for what offence? or are we just supposed to guess it - ie according to jinty stealing a loaf of bread would result in transportation for 12yo victorian girl, but have no idea what would actually happen in rl.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 07-Sep-07 21:24:12

Message withdrawn

divastrop Fri 07-Sep-07 21:26:37

are all prisons overcrowded or just mens prisons?

FluffyMummy123 Fri 07-Sep-07 21:27:20

Message withdrawn

fishie Fri 07-Sep-07 21:37:21

they are fascinating, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now