Talk

Advanced search

No crocs for nurses!

(35 Posts)
NormaSnorks Wed 05-Sep-07 10:55:45

In various places today, but here's The Sun

Bit of a shame, as they are supremely comfortable for people on their feet all day, but I can see the concerns if they ARE causing static?

LieselVentouse Wed 05-Sep-07 11:10:32

When i had my section 6 weeks ago i found it kind of funny that part of the scrubs outfit my DH had to wear was crocs - big green ones as well

kitsandbits Wed 05-Sep-07 11:12:10

They should ban them everywhere

portonovo Wed 05-Sep-07 11:26:20

I hate them but a medical friend of mine says they are popular because they can go in an autoclave and thus be kept sterile.

NormaSnorks Wed 05-Sep-07 11:32:30

Well, I hated them at first, but then gave in and bought some on holiday this year, and I can say I'm a convert. I nearly always have problems on holiday with shoes, as I have wide feet and get backache from wearing flat sandals/ flip flops etc. This is the first summer for many years that I haven't 'been (painfully) aware' of my feet all summer.

claricebeansmum Wed 05-Sep-07 11:34:47

So the NHS are only going to let nurses wear leather soled shoes now then? Like they could afford it!

All sorts of shoes will cause static - madness!

hippipotami Wed 05-Sep-07 11:52:31

My MIL is a nurse and she (and her colleagues) were told no to crocs as they were not professional looking enough. But surely if they wore white or blue ones to match the uniform, where is the harm?

hippipotami Wed 05-Sep-07 11:53:31

Ah, will read properly next time blush, they cause static? Any shoe does that (except real leather incl soles) so it is a bit daft not allowing them.

SueW Wed 05-Sep-07 11:54:25

So why can't they just wear theatre clogs?

That's what I thought someone was wearing when I first saw them in the US a couple of years ago.

Theatre clogs = crocs without holes

pooka Wed 05-Sep-07 11:56:23

On the crocs website it markets a range specifically at those in the health professions.
While I don't have a pair, ds and dd do, and they are fantastic for them. Seems eminently sensible to have them in hospitals since they can be sterilised, are lightweight, comfortable and easy to clean.

bran Wed 05-Sep-07 11:56:37

Couldn't they earth their crocs? It would be simple enough to clip a small chain around the heel strap so that it touches the skin and trails slightly on the floor.

bakedpotato Wed 05-Sep-07 11:58:05

I am a very static-y person and I've noticed that Crocs are really very jolty indeed, much more so than trainers.

pooka Wed 05-Sep-07 11:58:49

They look exactly the same, don't they? Apart from the holes. But
shop.crocs.com/CrocsSubProducts.aspx?from=crocs%20work%20models&grouptype=5&reqid=1010&reqProdTypeId =4&subsectionname=footwear§ion=products

bundle Wed 05-Sep-07 11:59:04

whenever I've been in theatres, they usually have hideous white leather clogs with rubber soles

dissle Wed 05-Sep-07 12:00:02

its not because of static, its because of health and safety. we were NEVER allowed to wear clog type things because they are not safe for lifting patients.
believe me when you are lifting a 25 stone man up a bed you do not want to take any chances hurting your back with ill fitting shoes......also we are not covered at all with insurance if we hurt our backs while wearing them.
so out of a job, crippled with back pain vs shoes with backs on them that you cant slip out of.

nothing to do with static...the sun prints crap.

dissle Wed 05-Sep-07 12:01:39

dont quite know why theatre staff still wear them, tradition i think and convenience however they are not covered and it is definitely not hospital policy.

dissle Wed 05-Sep-07 12:08:06

hmm, nicely killed that one off.

Lauriefairycake Wed 05-Sep-07 16:25:16

Dissle - sorry being stupid probably but if you're not allowed to wear theatre clogs or crocs with the strap up for safety, what are you supposed to wear ??

louii Wed 05-Sep-07 16:28:48

Dissle you shouldnt be lifting a 25 stone man up a bloody bed in the first place woman, are you mad!

SueW Wed 05-Sep-07 17:12:31

Theatre clogs with holes

HTF did crocs make so much money?

Most shoes sold for nursing seem to be clogs

Anoah Thu 06-Sep-07 07:29:32

I am nurse who often works 16 hour days on my feet with no break or anything. I love my crocs.

They are the only way I can get through the day without pain. Footwear for nurses is very important. Nurses are doing in their joints and their backs by not wearing good shoes. That causes them more problems than lifting does. Hospitals I worked at in the USA wanted all staff in trainers such as reebok or nike to decrease injuries. Trainers are the only shoes that are safe to be in for hours on end on your feet. FACT. I don't care how they look. I went for crocs because they don't allow even professional looking trainers here. Plus crocs are antimicrobial.

I cannot believe that managers want the nurses injured and in pain just to look more professional.

SueW Thu 06-Sep-07 11:26:56

16 hours with NO break. Is that legal?

Anoah Thu 06-Sep-07 12:30:53

Um...that's what you do if you don't want a dead or injured patient on your hands. Take a lunch break with no one to watch your patients and miss something and it is court for you. Remember we are often running between 10-30 patients many of whom need one on one assesments and monitering or they could die. If the hospital is refusing to send more staff what would you do? Even with working that hard you will still have visitors in your face screaming at you because they think you are ignoring their loved one when in reality you are just completely and utterly overwhelmed...and can't be 10 places at once.

For fuck's sake at least let us have comfortable shoes throughout that ordeal.

dissle Thu 06-Sep-07 14:33:11

They have to Black, and have to cover the whole foot.
No back straps.

This is my hospitals policy.

oh and yes we have to lift 25 stone men up beds, we have to change their positions every 2~4 hours, between 4 nurses, it is still some thing we have to do...safely.

mine are from Clarks and are very comfy.
i work 14 hour shifts but i do get breaks, 1hour per 14 hour shift...15mins am, 15mins pm then 30mins for lunch.

louii Thu 06-Sep-07 15:59:38

Everytime you dont get a break on your shift fill in an incident report form. As it is unsafe practice to work for that long with no break, potential for error due to tiredeness etc.

It really is scandalous what you are expected to do, i only work agency at the minute, way less hassle and I get all my breaks.

I have had paramedics refuse to take a patient as they were so heavy, they had to phone the fire brigade to help, as nurses we were expected to deal with this patient everyday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now