Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Evil babies bending to Satan's will? Not in my church hall you don't!!!!

(22 Posts)
whomovedmychocolate Fri 31-Aug-07 20:25:47

I am ROFLing at the story of a Somerset church hall that has banned a toddler yoga group for being unchristian hmm

Story is here: www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/display.var.1647089.0.childrens_yoga_classes_banned_by_church.php

Surely they also need to ban the WI - FGS - those folks make cakes and isn't gluttony one of the seven deadly sins? grin

whomovedmychocolate Fri 31-Aug-07 20:28:55

grin

Slubberdegullion Fri 31-Aug-07 20:28:57

Don't you be dissin' the WI chocolate. Hey there is nothing sinful about baking whatsoever (or yoga I believe). The WI is full of lovely wholesome goodness.

Oh man if there's ever a thread to make me kick off good and proper it's one that dares to slag off the WI.

\ / (holds up Twit's Kung Fu Arms).

whomovedmychocolate Fri 31-Aug-07 20:29:52

Actually I like the WI (especially the cakes). But I do still think they should be kicked off for encouraging gluttony.

TellusMater Fri 31-Aug-07 20:29:58

How bizarre. I saw this thread just as there was a question about it on Any Questions? grin

whomovedmychocolate Fri 31-Aug-07 20:30:31

So I hear. Small world - or maybe it's anti-christian conspiracy grin

Niecie Fri 31-Aug-07 20:34:26

My FIL is a Methodist minister and my MIL has done yoga in the past. Total nonsense banning it.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 31-Aug-07 20:35:38

Perhaps the Mums and babies group I go to will be banned because it has a star of david shape on the climbing frame! hmm

Slubberdegullion Fri 31-Aug-07 20:36:58

You may have a small point about gluttony. My first RL WI meeting (due week after next...I am beside myself with excitement, and that's not sarcasm), the title of the talk is

'Just desserts'.(clever play on words)

Yes a whole evening on the history and art of pudding making.

LittleBella Fri 31-Aug-07 20:44:57

God hates yoga

Everyone knows that

whomovedmychocolate Fri 31-Aug-07 20:51:20

I guess if you do yoga, kneeling isn't such a penitance so maybe you are right. hmm grin

Peachy Sun 02-Sep-07 11:51:08

Made me PMSl as well, BUT also a bit sad as many Eastern religions accept Jesus, shame the Christians can't extend the same tolerance in this case

Oh I am so looking forwards to teaching RE in Somerset....

TheArmadillo Sun 02-Sep-07 11:57:29

I ROFLed when I read this.

TB fair this is a one of instance and not the majority of churches (quite a few of whom have yoga sessions).

What a strange minister, bet this is going to make him popular

kitsandbits Sun 02-Sep-07 12:12:43

Id just change the name from yum yum yoga to something less yogaish

startouchedtrinity Sun 02-Sep-07 12:55:30

kitsandbits, then the middle class mummies won't go!

It's not really surprising, a parish down the road from us banned yoga for the same reason. What really annoys me is that this man is claiming to speak for Christians in general whereas he only speaks for his slightly dotty branch of it. Making not only yourself but every other Christian in the country look like an intolerant wally isn't going to save Christianity. No wonder I have had my fill of organised religion. <sigh>

whomovedmychocolate Sun 02-Sep-07 14:52:05

Kitsandbits - how about 'bend and transcend for toddlers'? Suitably vague.

In that vein perhaps the local devil worshipper's group could hire the halls for their 'down south fiery cooking workshops' grin

Lilymaid Sun 02-Sep-07 14:54:36

Oh good my yoga class (not in a church hall) starts again on Tuesday - bit of exercise followed by a little devil worship!

SueBaroo Tue 04-Sep-07 17:02:51

it was two churches, actually, not just the one. Lots of us dotty christians about, bwahahahahaha!!!

Anyway, every knows you'll eat cake in heaven..

oranges Tue 04-Sep-07 17:06:57

but yoga is more than a bit of stretching - it is based on a philosophy that this church obviously disagrees with. If the yoga teacher insists she teaches none of the spiritual element, then it is not really yoga, just calisthenetics.

heifer Tue 04-Sep-07 17:17:03

if God had meant for us to do yogo he wouldn't have given me such a large stomach to get in the way of me touching my toes!...

Of that could be the WI fault for making such lovely cakes....

SueBaroo Tue 04-Sep-07 17:21:36

Yogo - a new spiritual exercise in which you jump up and down on the new 'yogo stick' and thereby acheive oneness with the ground of being, and tone your thighs at the same time.

Nigellascoffedmychocolate Tue 04-Sep-07 17:49:14

Yogo - I like it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now