Talk

Advanced search

Christina Ohuruogua World champion

(9 Posts)
speedymama Thu 30-Aug-07 15:04:39

So we have an athletics world champion but yet there appears to be little celebration because she served a drug ban for missing three tests.

The fact that she was tested before and after the missed dates does not appear to appease the doubters. Also, the fact that the tests used are so sophisticated that they would have picked up traces of any banned substances because they take a while to leave the body. It is all there in the report.

She was banned for missing 3 tests because of mistakes on her part caused by circumstances not entirely within her control, she was not banned for taking illegal drugs.

I wish people would give her a break.

pagwatch Thu 30-Aug-07 15:09:07

Hmmmn you wouldn't be related or anything would you grin

AngharadGoldenhand Thu 30-Aug-07 15:11:34

Yes, a great athlete.

speedymama Thu 30-Aug-07 15:15:23

No. I follow atheletics. Britain has one of the most stringent drug testing system in the world, even Michael Johnson has said that it is much stricter than the US system.

She had 13 negative tests just before she was banned plus she was tested before and after all the major championships. Both the Court of Arbitration of Sport and UKA have acknowledged that the 3 tests she missed in the 18 month period were accidental and they say she is clean.

However rules are rules, miss three tests in a given period, you are banned.

However, if you are a footballer, you can snort as much coke as you like and still represent your countryhmm.

pagwatch Thu 30-Aug-07 15:19:40

Speedymama - you misunderstand me. I was just joshing at your name.
FWIW I think she was mostly guilty of being a plonker and I watched her race yesterday whilst sreaming at the telly ( and def the nicest evening of the summer was the Crystal Palace meet )

pagwatch Thu 30-Aug-07 15:20:28

Sreamimg ? Perhaps crying and screamimg grin

speedymama Thu 30-Aug-07 15:26:26

Sorry, I'm slow todaywink.

She is rather ditzy actually.

I remember watching a major championship 4x400 race and she was on the last league and in front. She started slowing down before the finish and the runner behind her nearly caught her on the lineshock.

When they interviewed her, she said that she did not realise that they were behind her! Doh.

pagwatch Thu 30-Aug-07 15:30:30

grin
Its the Dame Edna Everage line isn't it...
Why do Australians make such fanatastic sportsmen?
"Beacuse they have no intellectual distractions whatsoever"
I put that in quotes as i would never suggest such a thing about an Australian or a sportsman

mm22bys Thu 30-Aug-07 16:54:50

I think so too. Yes she did miss three drugs' tests, but she was punished for it, and she has served her time.

She has had the rules applied to her. Maybe the rules should be tighter (ie ban her for longer) but she has had the rules as they applied at the time applied to her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now