Talk

Advanced search

Is this a wind-up?

(30 Posts)
SueBaroo Tue 21-Aug-07 15:20:57

Yeah, I know, I know, 'tis folly to read the Daily Mail and expect any kind unhysterical story, but surely this is a charicature of a Daily Mail story?

Ist woman "I hate my children and I tell them daily what cretins they are and how they've ruined my life!"

2nd woman "I love my children and pour my entire existence into them, they are the most specialest peoples on the planet ever!"

Riiight.

oliveoil Tue 21-Aug-07 15:22:39

that french woman was in The Times yesterday

bet her children are thrilled that she has written a book saying how crap it is being a mother

NAB3 Tue 21-Aug-07 15:23:03

What an annoying woman!

SueBaroo Tue 21-Aug-07 15:24:26

I read it through and felt my blood-pressure rising, and then I thought, hold on a tic, why am I so easily manipulated? Argh!

MrsScavo Tue 21-Aug-07 15:28:49

So why did she have a 2nd child?

tigerschick Tue 21-Aug-07 15:29:33

here is the article from yesterday's Times. She was also on Radio 2 this afternoon.

is all I have to say - oh, it says in the Times article that she has a habit of writing books deliberately designed to wind up the French (her last one was about how lazy they are) so it might be worth taking a pinch of salt with what she says, might.

Rhubarb Tue 21-Aug-07 15:30:19

When I was up the duff with my first, I went into a photo shop for my photos and the woman behind the counter told me that her marriage fell apart as a direct result of her having kids. Her life was apparently brilliant up until that point.

I felt so uplifted and optimistic about the future when I left the shop. Obviously.

IntergalacticWalrus Tue 21-Aug-07 15:32:29

Is that first bird a bloke in drag?

SueBaroo Tue 21-Aug-07 15:34:55

I have a craving to be famous and get my picture in the paper. What outrageously argumentative thing shall I write about?

I hate birds, and I always smash up any birds nest with eggs in that I see! Give me a book deal!

3Ddonut Tue 21-Aug-07 15:37:45

Rhubarb, how nice of her, why do people feel the need to say the most innapropriate things when you're pg?

Couldn't be bothered reading that article, she sounds like a stupid cow, and I didn't want to waste my time.

UnquietDad Tue 21-Aug-07 15:38:30

She was on Radio 2 today. Vurrrrry sexy and seducteeeve Fruuuuunch voice... so disappointed to se she is a bit of une minger.

We all have our good and bad days, but can she honestly find nothing good to say about being a parent? She sounds like one of those militant "child-free" maniacs from that demented bile-filled website!

IntergalacticWalrus Tue 21-Aug-07 15:41:30

The DM article is a load of fucking drivel, a bit like the Daily Mail as a whole

speedymama Tue 21-Aug-07 15:43:59

When she is a pensioner and on her own, I bet she will complain bitterly that none of her children/grandchildren visit. I wonder if she will understand why that is, silly woman.

fartmeistergeneral Tue 21-Aug-07 15:51:12

I was trying desperately to hear this when I was at work. All i could make out was that she said toddlers were 'boring'. How can that be possible?? That's like my 6 year old who says most things are 'boring'.

Just a big fuss about nothing.

I also felt a bit awkward listening to it because I know one person in my office is trying unsuccessfully to conceive....

ScummyMummy Tue 21-Aug-07 16:05:06

"Because as a mother-of-two I know better than most why having children is a big mistake."

How can anyone write that sentence, knowing that their children will grow up and read it? My long-term pity for Joel Ronson at having his childish antics described tweely by his father every week fades into insignificance beside this unequivocal and seemingly deliberate, unashamed cruelty. I only hope it's some elaborate ruse. Surely it must be?

Rhubarb Tue 21-Aug-07 16:08:15

emotional abuse.
The McCanns are being slated once again for leaving their daughter alone. These caring, loving parents made one mistake and now people are calling for them to be prosecuted. This woman tells all and sundry that having kids is the worst thing to do, heaven knows what she tells her children about themselves, yet she is given a big fat paypacket for her troubles.

whiskeyandbeer Tue 21-Aug-07 16:12:43

oh sit.

someone mentioned the Mc word.

batton down the hatches, it's about to get heated in here.

Rhubarb Tue 21-Aug-07 16:13:29

I think you mean shit.

Are you a one-handed typer?

Iklboo Tue 21-Aug-07 16:15:43

Bet her mother felt the farking same.

Rhubarb Tue 21-Aug-07 16:18:40

lol!

UCM Tue 21-Aug-07 16:22:58

I was just about to post this madness, but I see someone got in first. She is clearly very bright, probably doesn't mean any of it, and will make loads of money.

Madness, I tell you.

grouchyoscar Tue 21-Aug-07 16:28:36

FGS. If they think we'll take that tosh seriously...oh heaven help me.

I'm off to have fun away from the papers

lucyellensmum Tue 21-Aug-07 16:46:18

I agree with everything she says actually, ALL of it, children do all of those things to us. BUT nothing is more rewarding or fullfilling, nothing on this earth. The love i feel for my children cannot be measured and i would not be a whole person without them. I suspect this woman is going to make shed loads of money for her controversial views, i wish i got there first. Before you flame me, i think the point she is trying to make is this, i could be wrong - society is busy trying to paint a picture perfect image of family life just now, complete with bugaboo and baby signing classes. It does seem to be "a la mode" as the author put it. But, its HARD hard work, it does mess with your relationship, if you say it doesn't i believe you are either extremely lucky, or lying. I used to fantasise about wild sex, now i fantasise about the same hotel room, but with queit, blessed quiet and the ablility to eat a meal with no stress, to eat in a grown up resturant etc etc. My career is basically fucked, we have no money and i cant see that improving anytime soon. Two years down, still suffereing from PND, only recently diagnosed, i can tell you, its HARD.

Would i chage any of it??? Not on your nelly, and actually, i love all the toys, children shops etc etc outlined in ten reasons why you should. I do think however, they could have come up with better reasons than that.

OrmIrian Tue 21-Aug-07 16:57:05

Well I can agree to all of the downsides of having sprogs. All of them. So what? Makes no difference to that fact that it's the best thing I ever did. A fact which many non-parents don't understand. Inspite of the crap it's still wonderful.

She sounds so childish. I want my life to be perfect and easy. Well OK.... that's fine for you. But for me it would be empty.

SueBaroo Tue 21-Aug-07 17:05:03

lucyellensmum - it's the extremity thing that's the irritation part. That's why I said it was classic daily mail nonsense. Take two utterly opposing extreme viewpoints and watch the sparks fly!

A measured, realistic appraisal of the up and downs of parenting would be tremendously helpful to many parents who struggle to meet impossible standards, but it wouldn't garner nearly as much publicity and sales for the author.

Oh, and I totally agree that the reasons for were pathetic, but I imagine that's part of the artifice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now