Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ok I'm getting the hump now - cartoon/film characters on food boxes

(13 Posts)
MaureenMLove Tue 21-Aug-07 08:58:29

FGS! Some woman on GMTV is starting a campaign to stop manufacturers putting children characters on 'bad' foods and trying to get them to put them on 'good' food, thus making it easier to get her children to eat healthily. Just a thought, but surely she'd use up less time if she just said 'no' in the supermarket!

Nemo2007 Tue 21-Aug-07 09:00:35

can see both sides
yes branded chocolate etc is a nightmare however agree you just say no. Also there are cartoon characters on 'good' foods aswell!!

speedymama Tue 21-Aug-07 09:03:21

Agree with OP. Parents are adults and they able to exercise their free will and say no. Just because it is advertised does not mean you have to buy it!

expatinscotland Tue 21-Aug-07 09:05:01

How about turning that crap off in the first place?

How about, 'My TV, my rules'?

bozza Tue 21-Aug-07 09:07:04

I have always had a policy not to buy branded food. So I never buy the Thomas yoghurts etc.

Nemo2007 Tue 21-Aug-07 09:08:44

I have bought branded stuff but only because it is one of the only ways to get DS to eat!! Although I do limit it to say lazy town yoghurts and thomas tank spaghetti.I just avoid crisps and sweets were possible!!

MaureenMLove Tue 21-Aug-07 09:21:09

We have them for treats. When we're on hoiday or its the school holidays dd can have chocolate brekkie stuff with whoever is in fashion atm or pasta in the shape of barbies cat! No-ones perfect and neither should we be imho. Everything is good in moderation, but sometimes people forget who's in charge! I do the shopping, I pay for the shopping and I'm in charge! (Can't believe I'm saying this - but I do love the odd you-know-what from Greggs too!)

saltire Tue 21-Aug-07 09:23:37

I tend not to buy much branded food anyway, but as maureen said in the OP, why doesn't she just say "no" to her children and stop buying it.
I know it can be difficult to get some children to eat healthy foods, but putting say Spongebob on peaches wouldn't make DS2 eat them, because he simply won't eat peaches

bozza Tue 21-Aug-07 12:37:31

TBH I think it is crap putting cartoon characters on food, so even if it was healthy food I would not buy it. I would rather buy a plain, unendorsed carrot, than a carrot in a bugs bunny packet or whatever.

My MIL buys the Thomas yoghurts but I am the one who has to prevent WW3 when DD realises that DS or DNephew has eaten Percy.

Othersideofthechannel Tue 21-Aug-07 12:40:17

What is it about green? In the 70s I used to fight my brothers over the green penguins!

maisym Tue 21-Aug-07 13:23:08

I don't want cartoon characters on fruit & veg! - my kids like to eat them for the product not any advert.

Have characters on other foods doesn't make me buy them - we see them in the supermarket but make other choices on what we buy.

sandcastles Tue 21-Aug-07 13:24:36

My dd (4) is mad on Shrek & anything with him on (and that is almost EVERYTHING recently) would get long wishful looks in the supermarkets.

I told her that they only put Shrek on things to make the children ask their mummys & daddys to buy stuff they don't need or want.

Now she goes around the supermarket saying "look mummy, Shrek....they only put him there to make you buy him, we don't want him" One member of staff actually agreed with her!

southeastastra Tue 21-Aug-07 13:25:43

think she has a good idea, there's so much branding on food, though totally peed off with the death of itv children's show because of the ban. crazy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now