Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Women change the rules of business

(9 Posts)
eleusis Mon 13-Aug-07 08:04:28

It is nice to see a positive article about women leaders in business. So thought I'd share...

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6939372.stm

Nightynight Tue 14-Aug-07 06:50:02

thank goodness for some progress.

my experience has been that people put in crazy hours to get onto the top management gravy train in normal companies. As a single mother, it is virtually impossible for me to emulate, therefore my only chance is to start my own business.

eleusis Tue 14-Aug-07 08:06:56

I see that positive stories are of little interest on MN .

amidaiwish Tue 14-Aug-07 08:18:13

yes it's good news, but a shame that it's not that women are succeeding in traditional companies but succeeding when starting their own..

or have i missed the point?

eleusis Tue 14-Aug-07 08:22:07

I think small steps are inevitable. And women running their own small businesses (some of which will presumably be big companies one day) is definately a move forward.

Roseylea Tue 14-Aug-07 08:23:27

If I were a businessy-type person (which I'm ont!) I'd far rather start my own business than work for some huge faceless corporation. I liked the bit where it said that women are more willing to take risks with their career -without being too sexist, do you think that's because blokes have to work to support families etc and therefore can't afford to take risks? whereas generally there's less financial pressure on women (I said generally!) and therefore women can tinker with the format a bit more.

Interesting...

speedymama Tue 14-Aug-07 08:46:42

For anyone interested, a recent issue of Management Today magazine featured 35 under 35yo women who are deemed to be rising to the top in business.

It was very inspiring to read and some of these women were still in their mid-20s. I've kept my hard copy to show my niece for when she is older and requires some inspiration other than me.

speedymama Tue 14-Aug-07 08:48:20

These women are succeeding in traditional male dominated areas, especially finance so running your own business is not necessarily the only way of getting to the top.

amidaiwish Tue 14-Aug-07 11:37:35

oooh, very interesting
right i've got a year to rise to the top!! best get off mumsnet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now