Talk

Advanced search

Maddy seen in Holland?

(125 Posts)
hecciesmum Thu 02-Aug-07 12:54:17

Have not really been commenting on the Maddy stories very much on here, but I thought you guys might be interested to know that the Dutch press is carrying an article today saying that she has allegedly been seen in a cafe in the south of the Netherlands with a DUtch guy and an English speaking woman.

You'll have to excuse me as I'm translating from the DUtch here, but it appears the police were called and they took away the glass and straw she had been drinking from to do a dna test on, and that the people in the cafe got part of the number plate of the car she was driven away in, as well as a decent description of the people she was with.

I hope, hope, hope and pray that this is a real lead and that she is alive and well and that she can be tracked down....

allgonebellyup Thu 02-Aug-07 12:55:03

hoping it is good news too

FLIER Thu 02-Aug-07 12:55:38

Oh please God let it be her.

totaleclipse Thu 02-Aug-07 12:57:28

There has been so many false leads, and sightings, So dont hold out much hope

theman Thu 02-Aug-07 12:57:53

surely the last thing they should have done was gone to the press with this. if it is true the couple will be long gone from holland.

belgo Thu 02-Aug-07 12:59:43

can you do a link please? I can read dutch.

hecciesmum Thu 02-Aug-07 13:01:12

sorry belgo - cr*p at links, but look at www.telegraaf.nl.....it's on the front page

KitsAndBits Thu 02-Aug-07 13:02:45

Dont hold much hope but I really do hope its her.

belgo Thu 02-Aug-07 13:03:03

found it
http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/68410281/Maddie_gespot_met_Nederlander.html?p=2,1

belgo Thu 02-Aug-07 13:10:32

the alleged sighting actually occured in Belgium, not Holland. I can't actually find a report on the main Belgian news website.

hecciesmum Thu 02-Aug-07 13:20:29

oh - I thought it was in Limburg...just shows, as I said, my Dutch is pretty average!

belgo Thu 02-Aug-07 13:21:38

Limburg is an area of Belgium. (maybe it's an area of Holland too?)

hecciesmum Thu 02-Aug-07 13:23:22

yes, it is, didn't realise it was also a part of Belgium...so I learned something new today as well!

belgo Thu 02-Aug-07 13:23:34

She was sighted (alledgedly) in 'het Belgische Tongeren'.

' Het meisje is ongeveer 5 jaar. Ze heeft blond haar tot op de schouders en opvallende blauwgroene ogen.'

I have to say there must be thousands of dutch/flemish children fitting that description...

belgo Thu 02-Aug-07 13:24:32

so you live in Holland? I'm in Belgium

hecciesmum Thu 02-Aug-07 13:25:28

yes, I miust admit that was my only fear. Being british living in the netherlands, say I had a 4 year old blonde haired little girl and took her to a cafe, with my husband who is Dutch....would everyone think she was an abductee?

WaynettaSlob Thu 02-Aug-07 13:25:55

Surely if someone thought it was her, all they had to do was call out "Madeleine!" and see if she turned around? Can never understand why people who claim to sight things aren't more proactive....

hecciesmum Thu 02-Aug-07 13:26:10

yeah - near Amsterdam....

Scottish originally, but been here for 11 years now.

hecciesmum Thu 02-Aug-07 13:26:39

a VERY good point Waynetta!

belgo Thu 02-Aug-07 13:27:53

My dd1 bears a resemblance to Madeleine. Nobody has commented yet, and I take her to loads of cafes.

SSSandy2 Thu 02-Aug-07 13:31:03

THe student working in the bar who observed the group and reported it to the police said she found their behaviour suspicious and found the child was behaving strangely so not just an ordinary family perhaps. They must have stood out in some way from the others she has served day in, day out.

totaleclipse Thu 02-Aug-07 13:32:33

Perhaps it was you belgo that was spotted, someone jumping to conclusions.

hecciesmum Thu 02-Aug-07 13:32:48

does it actually say WHEN this happened?

SSSandy2 Thu 02-Aug-07 13:34:27

http://www.polfed-fedpol.be/police/ops/teidentificerendetail_fr.php?RecordID=153.

police identity picture and text in French. Hopefully with the DNA they will at least be able to know for sure whether this was Madeleine.

belgo Thu 02-Aug-07 13:36:00

lol totaleeclipse - that occured to me actually - except we don't have a volvo and I've never been to Tongeren!

And dd1 drinks fristis! So do most children in Belgium.

SSSandy - where does it say the student found their behaviour suspicious?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: