Talk

Advanced search

Cambridge student killed in Madagascar

(7 Posts)
Reallybadidea Fri 02-Aug-19 17:53:10

www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/02/alana-cutland-death-police-investigate-possible-medication-link

Just horrendous. Beyond your worst nightmares as a parent.

HollowTalk Fri 02-Aug-19 17:57:30

It sounds as though she had a lot of problems, the poor thing. What an awful thing for her family and friends.

MsJRMEsq Fri 02-Aug-19 18:18:56

Awful way to go, poor her and her family. They can't find her body either.

MyFlabberIsAghast Fri 02-Aug-19 18:34:48

So awful, her poor family.

MaxNormal Sun 04-Aug-19 09:27:53

As soon as I read about this I thought lariam. Horrible stuff, can cause complete mental breakdown and psychosis in previously mentally healthy individuals.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 04-Aug-19 09:32:42

I read she didn't have any problems until she got there. I also immediately thought anti malarials. I know someone who had a similar reaction and when I needed anti malarials I asked for doxycline instead of the usual one as it scared me so much.

Really sad.

NoBaggyPants Sun 04-Aug-19 09:39:42

The article suggests they don't think it was the anti malarials because she'd had them on a previous trip. I'm not convinced, people can react differently to the same drug on different occasions, and if it was larium it has an awful reputation for suicidal ideation.

I doubt the truth will ever be known. It's a tragic thing to happen.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »