Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

RSPCA reports animal cruelty on the rise

(16 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Wed 01-Aug-07 10:13:45

Look at this page

It's revolting what some people do or can't be bothered to do.

JudgeyMcJudgeson Wed 01-Aug-07 10:26:56

some of htose stories are awful.

Especially those animals who starved to death while the owners ahd pet food in the house.

IS cruelty actually on the rise or is it becoming more unacceptable so people are far more likely to report it.

I hope its the second.

I don't understand why people don't get rid of the animals if they are that much of a bother.

Dumping them anonymously late at night outside a rescue centre would be better than leaving them to starve cos you can't be bothered.

BandofMothers Wed 01-Aug-07 10:38:48

Poor little cat, how could you just leave it with it's face stuck to the floor.

I knew I shouldn't have looked at that link

expatinscotland Wed 01-Aug-07 10:39:24

It's because people aren't punished for it.

aDad Wed 01-Aug-07 10:40:38

I'm not going to follow the link.
This kind of thing pisses me off too much.

expatinscotland Wed 01-Aug-07 10:47:31

This crime is not taken seriously here, and people know it.

Callisto Wed 01-Aug-07 10:53:01

It isn't taken seriously enough and any idiot can have a pet. Unless both things change I can't see cruelty cases decreasing. I also think that people don't realise how expensive owning a pet can be or how much of a commitment it is.

JudgeyMcJudgeson Wed 01-Aug-07 10:53:35

RSPCA have been campaigning for more rights/more punishment in the law.

The law was changed in 2005 I think to make prosecutions easier and to help prevent cruelty before it happened.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/bbc_parliament/4651916.stm

HOwever iirc we are still behind the US in these kind of things. I think they still have a lot more power than we do in terms of preventing and prosecuting cases of animal cruelty.

Callisto Wed 01-Aug-07 10:55:49

I don't think that judges take animal cruelty cases seriously enough in this country tbh (a sweeping generalisation here I know).

expatinscotland Wed 01-Aug-07 11:03:00

I'm always shocked at how many unneutered pets there are here.

It's the law in many US cities unless you're a registered breeder that your pet be sterilised and they do fine/prosecute.

For example, a friend went on holiday and her so-called friend was supposed to cat sit her moggies at her house. Instead she let one get out. When he was picked up by the council and taken the local shelter, my pal was issued a ticket for 'cat at large' and had to pay a fine.

You cannot adopt a pet from a rescue centre or shelter and leave with it unneutered.

It's also illegal to allow your pet to roam about not on a lead in many cities there - some have designated 'leash free' parks.

And in many states, animal cruelty is now a felony offense. You don't want to be a convicted felon in the US, it makes your life a real hassle.

JudgeyMcJudgeson Wed 01-Aug-07 11:08:48

I do think that the US have the right idea when it comes to animal cruelty and preventing it as well as prosecuting.

Places like the RSPCA neuter the animals that come through them and I think a similar law to the US would be a good idea.

Callisto Wed 01-Aug-07 11:12:48

I think that all good animal charities in the UK neuter as a matter of course. When I adopted my greyhound they wouldn't let me have him until he'd had the chop. There are also far, far too many people breeding kittens and puppies for a few quid in this country and I think that the Kennel Club is one of the most irresponsible organisations in existance.

expatinscotland Wed 01-Aug-07 11:14:21

I'm glad to hear that, Callisto, because my ILs adopted a dog from a rescue shelter and all they did was make them promise to get him neutered. I mean, wtf?

Of course, they did, but still.

Callisto Wed 01-Aug-07 11:39:36

I'm actually quite amazed at that Expat. Do you know which charity they used?

expatinscotland Wed 01-Aug-07 11:41:09

It was the old Canine Defense League.

Callisto Wed 01-Aug-07 13:14:50

Is that now NCDL? Canine defense was a very reputable charity I thought. Bizarre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now