Talk

Advanced search

Chinese children forced to board

(5 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Fri 05-Jul-19 06:08:55

what a scary article
They call it cultural genocide

meditrina Fri 05-Jul-19 06:58:58

China is a very authoritarian state, and control at this level is not unprecedented.

All that has changed is the West's willingness to close its eyes and deal enthusiastically with China, whose economy has transformed in the last 30 years or so. Human rights are rarely mentioned when dealing with China

That's why the protests in Hong Kong have come about. They do not want any aspect of the SAR eroded by transfer of any of their rights or institutions to mainland China. This was meant to be protected until 2047, with UK having a role in their maintenance (both sides ageeeing in the Joint Declaration) but China is now saying that UK should keep out of HK SAR affairs (despite treaty obligation agreeing to that) and has been saying the JD is dead for the last 5 years or so.

And that's another aspect. China does not permit any interference in its internal affairs, and a successful way to influence has yet to be found.

ItReallyHappens Sat 06-Jul-19 19:09:07

This is truly shocking.
It is brainwashing and estranging children from their parents.
‘Thought transform’ is what they call it. Half way down the page on that link, the young man smiling at the camera, his eyes and smile make me so sad.

Lemonmeringue33 Sat 06-Jul-19 19:13:28

Very similar to the policies adopted in the US where native American children were removed from home and put in boarding schools to encourage them to abandon their own culture and adopt those of the immigrant population. Same happened in Australia with indigenous families. I will not end well for anyone.

ItReallyHappens Sat 06-Jul-19 19:37:22

LemonMeringue, yes that is exactly what it reminded me of when I read about it. Don’t know what I can do to protest and make a difference.
The thought of little children forcibly separated from parents in this day and age is horrifying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »