Talk

Advanced search

Banning the export of plastic waste from the UK

(7 Posts)
T2023 Wed 19-Jun-19 09:03:42

I hope as a parent you'll be concerned with the environment. If you watched War On Plastic the other night you might have seen the disgraceful sight of British plastic waste sitting in a Malaysian jungle.

I'd like to ask you to sign a petition to ban the export of plastic waste from the UK so the 3rd world doesn't have to suffer this abuse.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/237253

The UK uses 3.3 million tonnes of plastic each year & around two-thirds of that is sent abroad to countries such as Malaysia, & Indonesia with no guarantee that it will be recycled.
Many of these locations do not have the infrastructure in place to deal with plastic & so it ends up in our oceans.

The government currently have not done enough to proactively investigate the risks to the environment associated with this practice.

According to the Ocean Conservancy, plastic has been found in more than 60% of all seabirds and 100% of sea turtle species.
Ingesting plastic has life-threatening effects on wildlife & this plastic eventually ends up being digested by humans.

The scale of this issue is huge & the UK are contributing to it. Please support the ban on exporting our plastic waste.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/237253

Please sign the petition

Please share the link where ever you can.

Thanks.

ifonly4 Wed 19-Jun-19 11:50:59

I was shocked that we're sending our rubbish away and expect other countries to live/dea with it. Also, the cost and environmental issue of transport.

Signed!

T2023 Wed 19-Jun-19 13:23:57

Thank you if you signed the petition.

I think everyone was shocked we send our plastic waste problem to the far east!

If we can't export waste plastic then we'll have to find a solution. That shouldn't be too hard as the UK is one of the richest countries in the world and our universities some of the best in the world. It shouldn't be beyond us to find ecologically sound solutions to this problem.

The interview with Gove on War On Plastic was done quite a while ago and still nothing has been done.

Our politicians really do bring shame on us.

Flyingsouthwiththeswallows Wed 19-Jun-19 13:38:20

I agree and have also signed.

The programme really made me think about our use if plastic. It is even harder to tolerate when you realise it is not being recycled, but rather dumped on other countries.

I believe that the Supermarkets must take responsibility for removing it from the supply chain and we need to put real pressure on them to do so.

I came back from M&S and Sainsburys this week with almost empty bags, because I refused to pick up anything in plastic. The extent of the issue is truly shocking.

Have now signed up for a Veg & Fruit box and am searching for replacements for everything normally packaged in plastic.

Would love a MN campaign on this.

When my Mother shopped when I was a child, I don’t remember anything coming in plastic. Butter, Cheese, Meat, Fish were all purchased over the counter and wrapped in paper. Fruit and Veg was bought loose and put straight into a shopping bag or into a paper bag. Cleaning materials were lemon juice, Vinegar, Bicarb and Soda and loo rolls were wrapped in paper.

We need to rapidly rethink what we are doing to the planet and to the future of generations to come.

CoalTit Thu 27-Jun-19 07:52:01

I was also horrified and I signed. Thanks for bringing this up, op

cdtaylornats Thu 27-Jun-19 09:16:21

When my Mother shopped when I was a child, I don’t remember anything coming in plastic. Butter, Cheese, Meat, Fish were all purchased over the counter and wrapped in paper. Fruit and Veg was bought loose and put straight into a shopping bag or into a paper bag. Cleaning materials were lemon juice, Vinegar, Bicarb and Soda and loo rolls were wrapped in paper.

But you shopped every other day. Paper can be more environmentally damaging than plastic.Dripping acid on everything is not a great cleaning method.

onelittleclara Thu 27-Jun-19 09:29:56

Signed and forwarded

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »