Talk

Advanced search

France plans total shutdown 22 June 2019

(16 Posts)
Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 16:16:19

I've just watched a video on YT where someone announced that due to electricity prices going up by 6% the French have decided to protest by shutting down the whole of France on 22 June 2019. Apparently this will halt all rail/sea/air travel, close shops and affect all non essential services, with only the emergency services and hospitals operating.

It sounds very extreme and has not been confirmed on mainstream media. If it's genuine, it will surely affect many tourists. I don't know what to make of it - perhaps someone in France would be able to confirm this story?

VikingVolva Wed 12-Jun-19 16:40:42

I saw something about this in Reuters, suggesting that protester numbers are down, despite the (delayed) increase coming in to force:

"Some 9,500 people took to the streets across France on June 1, the Interior Ministry estimated, with 1,500 in Paris. That was down from the 12,500 nationwide last Saturday, and a far cry from the close to 300,000 that first occupied roundabouts and blocked roads in what began as an outcry against fuel tax hikes"

www.reuters.com/article/us-france-protests/turnout-at-frances-yellow-vest-protest-hits-fresh-low-idUSKCN1T23DX

There were muttering about further increases in August

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:11:36

Thanks VikingVolva, but I think the situation has changed since then. The video was issued today, from someone who is quite a reliable source of info.

I've reposted this in AIBU for traffic, thinking that anyone planning a trip to France around that date might appreciate the warning. Might be too late for those who've already booked trips, but maybe not for others.

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:11:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:11:45

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:11:51

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:11:59

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:12:15

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:13:19

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:13:58

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:14:12

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:14:30

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:15:18

Thanks VikingVolva, but I think the situation has changed since then. The video was issued today, from someone who is quite a reliable source of info.

I've reposted this in AIBU for traffic, thinking that anyone planning a trip to France around that date might appreciate the warning. Might be too late for those who've already booked trips, but maybe not for others.

Defenbaker Wed 12-Jun-19 20:16:03

VikingVolva Wed 12-Jun-19 20:24:06

Your keyboard got a little car away there!

What has changed?

(because there really wasn't mention of anything when I googled)

VikingVolva Wed 12-Jun-19 20:25:54

Your keyboard got a little car away there!

What has changed?

(because there really wasn't mention of anything when I googled)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »