Talk

Advanced search

May 8th 2020 Bank Holiday

(7 Posts)
sunshinesupermum Mon 10-Jun-19 08:43:34

Sorry it's a Daily Fail article but thought this couple is being a little poor little me over the change. Let's face it people who really want to come to their wedding will still do so even if the next day is no longer a Bank Holiday.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7122545/Couple-say-wedding-plans-ruined-decision-years-Day-bank-holiday-VE-Day.html
I'm also 'devastated' at the change as my birthday always fell on May Bank Hol weekend.

Andcake Mon 10-Jun-19 08:54:33

A long thread about this yesterday. I think the govt if truly wanted to honour would add a bank holiday.

They won’t be the only couple or family this affects.

I basically will lose a day off and am furious- it will mar any commemoration for me as it means less time with dc.

UrsulaPandress Mon 10-Jun-19 08:59:48

They've added bank holidays for Royal Weddings. Why not for this?

IgnoranceIsStrength Mon 10-Jun-19 09:08:07

Actually if their friends are in education, policing or nhs they will not necessarily be able to take the day off. I work in education and we have no choice over our days off so I would not be able to attend. As I'm sure some of their friends won't

EllenRachel Mon 10-Jun-19 09:50:34

I feel really sorry for them! We had a Sunday wedding on a bank holiday weekend and it would have totally changed it if the next day had been a working day.

sunshinesupermum Mon 10-Jun-19 11:04:06

andcake why will you lose a day off? The Bank Hol Monday is now Bank Hol Friday so still a long weekend.

And sorry, but I missed the long thread yesterday and have only just seen the article.

Andcake Mon 10-Jun-19 16:43:15

sunshinesupermum I work 4 days a week so already don’t work Fridays 😳 a lot of chat yesterday about legal entitlement for such a situation but mostly from those who are in big organisations who have elements of job safety

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »