Talk

Advanced search

D Day Remembrance

(10 Posts)
MrsCasares Thu 06-Jun-19 19:55:59

My grandfather was RAMC. He was shot on June 6th d-day landings and died on 13th June. He is buried at Hermanville war cemetery

So many brave men and women.

Rootytoothy Thu 06-Jun-19 18:25:43

It really is emotional. I can’t remember the last time I cried but was sobbing listening to the radio this morning.
I think it’s partly because there is very little time left before there is no one left to remember it personally. And I know I shouldn’t generalise but that generation just embodies so much courage, resilience and modesty. It feels like a massive loss.

stucknoue Thu 06-Jun-19 18:20:36

Sitting with weepy eyes watching on catch up - dd is an officer cadet so it seems very real this time

Ethelswith Thu 06-Jun-19 09:08:19

I've just seen a tweet from out secondary, commemorating an old boy still in his teens who died on D-Day

I'm feeling quite emotional this morning

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 05-Jun-19 19:55:42

So stoic. Can’t imagine it really.

UrsulaPandress Wed 05-Jun-19 19:55:21

Big sobs here. Went to the beaches last year.

TracyBeakerSoYeah Wed 05-Jun-19 19:54:23

I am so grateful for all the soldiers & everyone else involved in the D Day Landings.
Also welled up reading the brave, courageous & sad stories.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart you brave & courageous people!

Redshoeblueshoe Wed 05-Jun-19 19:45:43

I cried.
My DF was only 22 when he went over on D Day +2
He only spoke about it to tell us the amusing tales.
It was only after his death we heard some of the dreadful things that he encountered.
RIP to all of them flowers

Blobbyweeble Wed 05-Jun-19 19:41:24

Isn’t it just. I’m struggling to stop the tears. My Uncle was there and went on into Germany and my Dad was in the navy somewhere but didn’t really like to talk about it in any detail.

Housemartins50 Wed 05-Jun-19 19:29:33

So emotional.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »