Talk

Advanced search

BBC: NHS turns to Mumsnet to fill nurse vacancies

(9 Posts)
Gumbo Mon 03-Jun-19 11:39:52

Wow! That's really interesting, the NHS is tapping into Mumsnet!

"The NHS in England will turn to Mumsnet to help recruit nurses as part of a package of measures to fill vacancies in the health service."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48438139

scaevola Wed 05-Jun-19 07:58:27

They've been advertising NHS posts in MN jobs for a while now, so I think this is a bit of a non-story.

(Especially as MNHQ is proposing to axe the HCP topic, so it's not exactlyma new welcome with open arms)

DarkAtEndOfTunnel Tue 18-Jun-19 18:59:07

They'd do better to bring back the bursaries enabling people to train.

gamerwidow Tue 18-Jun-19 19:05:26

They'd do better to bring back the bursaries enabling people to train
Definitely. We are desperately short of nurses and have no where near enough people studying nursing to meet demand.
Our Trust is having to go abroad to try to recruit which is even harder in today’s climate because no one wants to find here.

ItsClemFandangoCanYouHearMe Tue 18-Jun-19 19:06:21

@DarkAtEndOfTunnel absolutely. I started my training but a change of circumstances meant I had to leave. Now I'm in a position where I could, I could never afford to!

IStillMissBlockbuster Tue 18-Jun-19 19:10:35

Oh yeah, 'cos only women are nurses right?!!

DarkAtEndOfTunnel Tue 18-Jun-19 19:35:21

Is that a thought along the lines of 'what about the poor menz'? Yes, many nurses are women. What's the problem?

gamerwidow Tue 18-Jun-19 19:40:14

Oh yeah, 'cos only women are nurses right?!!
No but Mumsnet has a massive readership many of whom are women and women are disproportionately represented in nursing.
If you’re trying to advertise somewhere to get maximum results you’re going to go where the largest demographic is.
They could advertise on a petrol head forum or gaming one I suppose where most of the readership are male but I think the success would be more limited....

TracyBeakerSoYeah Tue 18-Jun-19 19:44:09

Men do use MN you know.
Maybe not that many.
And some female posters would/could mention to their other male halves as a possible career change or as a returner.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »